Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.


Status: Designated


There are no additional online documents for this record.


Date Added
Local Authority
Orkney Islands
Planning Authority
Orkney Islands
HY 51449 1338
351449, 1001338


1656 with later alterations and additions. 2-storey and attic, 3-bay near-symmetrical rectangular-plan crowstepped gabled mansion with various lean-to additions; addition along rear (N) side c.1840. Harl-pointed random rubble with squared rubble and sandstone dressings. Eaves course at rear. 19th century farm buildings at rear.

W (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: slightly advanced sandstone roll-moulded and pedimented architraved doorpiece at ground in bay to centre; weathered carved plaque bearing indistinct initials to pediment; small window at 1st floor above. Small window at each floor in bay to left. Blank wall to single storey lean-to addition to outer left. Enlarged window at each floor in bay to right.

E (REAR) ELEVATION: 2-storey 3-bay lean-to addition spanning rear elevation. Regularly disposed window at each floor in each bay. Blank wall to single storey flat-roofed addition projecting N to outer right.

S (SIDE) ELEVATION: main block gable to left: window offset to right at 1st floor and attic; gablehead stack above. Lean-to addition to right: window offset to right, at ground and 1st floors; wallhead stack at junction of roof types above.

N (SIDE) ELEVATION: single storey, 2-bay addition to right: window in each bay; gablehead stack to main house above. Part-glazed door to flat-roofed single bay addition, projecting further to left; window in right return; wallhead stack to roof junction to main block above.

4-, 6-, 9- and 12 pane timber sash and case windows; 3, evenly disposed rooflights to W pitch; 2 small rooflights to E pitch. Purple Welsh slate to roof apex with thick Caithness stone easing course; heavily tarred grey slate with large Caithness stone easing course to 3-bay addition to rear; heavily tarred stone slab roof to lean-to to N; stone ridge; corniced and coped gable- and wallhead stacks; cavetto moulded skewputts to W; cast-iron rainwater goods.

INTERIOR: not seen, 1998.

OUTBUILDINGS: MILL: 2-storey, 3-bay rectangular-plan roughly coursed rubble mill sited to rear (E) of main house, with stone forestair to S gable. E (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: window replacing door at ground in bay to centre. Window at ground with small opening (blocked to right) in each bay flanking. W (REAR) ELEVATION: window at each floor in bays offset to right and left of centre. N (SIDE) ELEVATION: single storey lean-to addition, offset to left at ground; centred window (blocked) above; ball finial to gablehead above. S (SIDE) ELEVATION: stone flight from E elevation to centred, boarded gable door; ball finial to gablehead above. Large Caithness slabbed roof; stone ridge; corrugated-iron roof to additions. INTERIOR: not seen, 1997.

BARN AND BYRE: irregularly fenestrated 2-storey, L-plan roughly coursed rubble barn sited to N of main house with various single storey lean-to additions to N elevation. Grey slate; stone ridge; corrugated-iron roof to additions; concrete skews. INTERIOR: not seen, 1997.

Statement of Special Interest

An exceptionally well-preserved 17th century mansion occupied by Patrick Graham of Rothiesholm, a son of Bishop George Graham. He was subsequently sold Meil House by his nephew, Partick Smith of Braco, son-in-law of Bishop George Graham. Thus the former Meil House became Graham's Hall, (see separate list description). The massive walls are pierced by small windows, a larger one lighting the drawing room. The shallow stone porch with its moulded doorpiece and steep pediment encloses an heraldic panel and perhaps influenced Lethaby (if he visited Greenwall) whose porch at the Factor's house at Melsetter, Hoy, shows similarities.



Appears on 1st edition OS map (1882); Kirkwall Archive, Miscellaneous Vol I/28, THE HISTORY OF HOLM (1977); L Burgher, ORKNEY, AN ILLUSTRATED ARCHITECTURAL GUIDE (1991), p 33;

J Gifford, HIGHLAND AND ISLANDS (1992), p 304; NMRS; AHSS Spring Tour Guide Book (1994), D20.1, (P).

About Listed Buildings

Listing is the way that a building or structure of special architectural or historic interest is recognised by law through the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest using the criteria published in the Historic Environment Scotland Policy Statement.

The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing and if a number or name is missing from a listing address it may still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing can also cover structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The planning authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. Since 1 October 2015 we have been able to exclude items from a listing. If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.

If you want to alter, extend or demolish a listed building you need to contact your planning authority to see if you need listed building consent. The planning authority advises on the need for listed building consent and they also decide what a listing covers. The planning authority is the main point of contact for all applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at You can contact us on 0131 668 8716 or at


There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to GREENWALL HOUSE, INCLUDING OUTBUILDINGS AND BOUNDARY WALLS

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 24/04/2019 04:54