William Burn, 1838. Romanesque cruciform church with short 2-bay nave, douglas transepts, and shallow projecting chancel. Polished ashlar, base course, hoodmoulds to major openings and deeply chamfered reveals to round-arched windows.
S (NAVE) ELEVATION: projecting gabled porch, round-arched, doorway with nook-shafts and roll-moulded arch; shallow advanced bay above containing 3-light window with stepped round heads and nook-shafts rising into octagonal bellcote with round-arched and saw-tooth ashlar roof. Hoodmoulds continued in string course to gargoyles projecting E and W of buttresses gable. 2 tall windows on return elevations.
E AND W ELEVATIONS: twin gabled transepts with tall windows.
N (CHANCEL) ELEVATION: advanced gable flanked by lean-to porches with round-arched doorways. Low gable vestry projecting at centre, 2 windows above, chimney to gable. Welsh slates, gablet coped skews, stepped buttresses to angles.
INTERIOR: remodelled after fire in 1886 by J Farquharson OF Haddington. Timber panelled horseshoe gallery supported on cast-iron columns, stripped to match later panelled chair, altar table and organ with carved gothic ornament by Scott Morton and Co. directed by M Ingram, stained glass to N and S; S window signed A Ballantine and Gardiner, edinburgh, 1892 erected by Ainslie of Elvingston. Ribbed segmentally-vaulted transept roof supported on further cast-iron columns, central ventilator. GRAVEYARD with ashlar coped rubble retaining wall, burial aisles of Anderson and Glassell families to N, some good 18th century stones. Containing Gladsmuir Old Parish Church to N with further memorials (listed separately).
GATEPIERS AND GATES to S; gablet coped ashlar gatepiers and cast-iron gates.