1756, with early 19th century alteration. 2-storey and attic manse comprising principal range oriented E-W with 2-storey range projecting at centre of S elevation forming T-plan with single storey wing projecting from N (rear) elevation. Harled walls with painted margins to windows.
E (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: asymmetrical, 2-bay gable of principal range at right; regular fenestration in right bay and blank in left bay at ground and 1st floors; attic window to left in gablehead. 2-bay E elevation of S range recessed to left; glazed timber entrance porch in re-entrant angle; regular fenestration in bay to left and at 1st floor.
S ELEVATION: near-symmetrical; 2-bay gable of S range advanced at centre with windows at ground and 1st floor in bay to left, blank in bay to right; regular fenestration in flanking bays with piend-roofed, slate-hung timber dormers breaking eaves.
N (REAR) ELEVATION: asymmetrical, modern window to right of centre at ground; window at 1st floor centred above; single storey wing advanced at outer left with single window in N gable.
W ELEVATION: asymmetrical, 2-bay gable of principal range at left with windows to each floor in left bay, blank in right bay. S range recessed at right; stair window only to left of centre.
Plate glass and 4-pane timber sash and case windows. Purple-grey slate roof; harled gablehead stacks to principal gables and wing, all coped with circular cans.
STEADING: 2 single storey random rubble ranges, to NE of house disposed at right angles, forming approximate T-plan. Corrugated-iron clad roof to S range, slate and asbestos sheet cladding to roof of partly-ruinous N range.
WALLS, RAILINGS AND GATEPIERS: random rubble walls enclosing garden to S, wallhead of S wall raised with infilled gateway at centre; dwarf wall to E of house surmounted by decorative cast-iron railing with pyramidal caps to gatepiers at centre. Random rubble walls enclosing ground to N and E of steading.
Statement of Special Interest
The Glebe was formerly the manse to Fetlar Kirk. A photograph by Charles Spence of the early 1870s shows the house with 12-pane timber sash and case windows and a smaller, corniced, entrance porch. The S wing appears to be an early 19th century addition, altering the original haa-like appearance. John Tudor, a traveller who visited around 1880, noted: ?The Manse of Tresta is, with the exception of Tingwall, the most beautifully situated parsonage in the islands, and covered as it is in the summertime with wild trailing honey-suckle, and surrounded by small elderberry trees, has a very south of Pentland Firth feel about it?.