Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

GATES ROAD, THE GATE LODGE AND 1 PARKHILL HOLDINGSLB12637

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
C
Date Added
10/06/1971
Supplementary Information Updated
21/05/2012
Local Authority
Renfrewshire
Planning Authority
Renfrewshire
Parish
Lochwinnoch
NGR
NS 35933 59242
Coordinates
235933, 659242

Description

Late 18th century with later 20th century alterations. Castellated, Gothic archway with screen walls connecting pair of lodges at W approach to the former Castle Semple Estate with later additions to form residential dwellings. Droved ashlar with raised ashlar margins. Base course.

Tall, central carriage arch with paired panelled pilasters surmounted by obelisk finials; frieze, cornice. Flanking low pedestrian arch openings in screen walls.

Outer bays with slightly advanced pair of lodges with pointed-arch niches in re-entrant angles. W elevations with central window openings; pilastered jambs; finialled ogival mouldings, blocked quatrefoils above. Fluted and obelisk-pinnacled angle pilasters; castellated parapets.

N LODGE (1 PARKHILL HOLDINGS): single-storey and attic. S and E elevations with pointed-arch window openings. Large, later extension to N. Piended roof.

S LODGE (THE GATE LODGE): 2-storey. N elevation with pointed-arch window openings. Castellated. Later, large flat-roofed extension to S and E.

INTERIOR: (seen, 2011). Lodge to S with later interior. Lodge to N with altered, later room layout.

Later, non-traditional glazing to both lodges. Non-traditional roofing materials. Corniced square and circular-plan stacks.

Statement of Special Interest

Fine and impressive gateway and paired lodges at West entrance to the former Castle Semple Estate. The Gothic design and distinctive castellation add considerably to the character of this structure. The lodges have undergone a degree of alteration, but the linking screen wall with carriage entrance and pair of symmetrical pedestrian entrances are fine streetscape features and remain relatively unaltered, and still characterise the entrance to the estate.

Castle Semple Estate has a long history, originally associated with the Semple family who built the first Castle Semple and the collegiate church (scheduled monument, 2011) around 1504. In 1727, the Semples sold the estate to a sugar plantation owner, William McDowell. McDowell began a range of land improvements to the estate, which form the basis of the current estate, including building a new Castle Semple House and landscaping the grounds. The 2nd William MacDowell continued the improvements to the estate including erecting a Temple at the deer park in Kenmuir Hill (see separate listing). The Estate was sold in 1814 to a Major John Harvey who continued to improve the landscape. The family finances declined during the course of the 19th century and the estate was sold in 1908. After this, the house was converted to apartments and the land broken up into small holdings. The House was damaged by fire in 1924 and the central portion of it demolished in the 1960s. The central section of the estate is currently a Regional Park.

List description updated, 2012. Category changed from B to C(S).

References

Bibliography

John Ainslie Map of the County of Renfrew, (1800). Plan of Castle Semple Estate, 1808, NAS RHP 3609/1/1. 1st Edition Ordnance Survey Map, (1863). F A Walker, The South Clyde Estuary, (1986) pf69. Stuart Nisbet, Castle Semple Rediscovered, (2009). The SCRANI Partnership, Conservation Statement and Management Proposals, prepared for Clyde Muirsheil Regional Park, (2008). Further information from owners.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to GATES ROAD, THE GATE LODGE AND 1 PARKHILL HOLDINGS

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 25/08/2019 12:14