Ruinous long rectangular medieval church of which only
chancel remains divided as 2 burial enclosures;
post-Reformation tower and Abercrombie burial aisle. All
rubble, tooled and polished ashlar dressings.
MEDIEVAL CHANCEL now divided; W portion contains
medieval ogee arched mural tomb of Olgilvy of Findlater with
worn inscription on cill; E portion with circa 1510
cusped perpendicular mural tomb with recumbent effigy in
armour with carved beast at feet (James Ogilvy of Deskford,
SW 2-STOREY AND LOFT TOWER of mixed random rubble with red
sandstone quoins to loft height (loft possibly later
heightening). Arched and vaulted ground floor; 1st floor
entrance served by external forestair; steeply pitched
slate roof with end stack and richly carved double-arched
bellcote dated 1661.
ABERCROMBIE AND GLASSAUGH AISLE: late 17th century tall
detached burial aisle with local slate roof, apex ball
finial and small apex bellcote. Ionic fluted aediculed and
pedimented mural marble memorial surmounted by carved
marble trophy to General Abercrombie of Glassaugh
dated 1781. Second marble, plaque with moulded (?slate)
surround to Mary Duff, widow of general Abercrombie, dated
1786. Graded local slate roof (re-slated 1975).
BURIAL GROUND: High coped rubble walled burial ground;
entrance flanked by square rubble gatepiers with flat caps
and closed by pair of cast-iron spearhead carriage gates.
Interesting range of tomb stones, 18th century and
subsequent; monument to Rev. Alexander Humphrey, 1832.
Statement of Special Interest
Church replaced in 1804 by present
parish church. John Abercrombie of Glassaugh was given
permission by the Kirk Session and the Earl of Findlater to
build a burial place in 1679 outside the church but
'foreagainst his own seetes'. The burial aisle probably
abutted the Abercrombie loft.
Scheduled Ancient Monument 352. Re-scheduled
Area 23 December 2004.