David Thomson architect. Built 1871-3. Late 13th century
Gothic style. Stugged ashlar with polished dressings.
Crucifrom plan. East elevation: 3-stage tower and tall
broached spire with finial, flanking gabled bays housing
stairs to galleries. Central doorway under pointed arch
with moulded reveals, finialled gable above. Double doors
have large elaborately patterned hinges. Angle buttresses
to 1st 2 stages. 2nd stage has triple gabled lights to
each face. 3rd stage with paired belfry openings with
paired belfry openings and clustered columns and clock
above in shallow recessed panel. 3 teirs of lucarnes to
spire. South elevation: stepped windows to stairs under
swept roofs flank the tower, nave with 3 tall traceried
windows under steeply pointed gables to narrow east bays.
Wide projecting gabled aisles with geometric traceried
windows and stone apex crosses.
Later gabled vestry extension at west is rendered. Slate
roof with fish-scale bands. Interior damaged by fire in
1950s; all plaster removed. Some good quality leaded glass
panels. Roof supported by arched trusses.
1888 Free Gothic church halls to right. Roughly 'T'-plan
range with asymmetrical gabled front to The Cross. 2-stage
tower and broached spire in re-entrant angle at rear.
Rear wing with tall gabled bays at cross-wing end. Also
some decorative cast-iron railings to graveyard.