William Adam; 1731 design built 1732-43. Ornamental
hunting lodge and "dogg Kennel", built as eyecatcher
terminating Hamilton Palace south avenue and with fantastic
long baroque symmetrical facade. Abandoned when Hamilton
Palace was demolished circa 1929, and renovated by SDD
Historic Buildings Division in conjunction with
Hamilton District Council, 1978-87.
4 2-storey ranges linked by screen walls, east-most range
contains Duke's apartment at 1st floor, with restored
Clayton plasterwork; banqueting hall in next range alongside.
Courtyard to rear (south), ha-ha wall reaches substantial
height at west, with slope of ground; dummy fortifications;
leopard house at east, mound at south-east.
All rubble and ashlar with slate roofs.