Dated 1843. Single storey, 6-bay, paired L-plan cottages in estate style with advanced stone gabled bay to penultimate right with shaped hoodmold and infilled slit detail to apex. Timber-bracketed overhanging eaves with cross bracing and delicate timber finials to gable apexes. Finely tooled whinstone rubble with droved sandstone quoins. Later 20th century rendered extension to rear to form U-plan. Townhead Cottage to S and Barjols to N.
12-pane lying-pane glazing in timber sash and case windows to principal elevation, later 20th century glazing patterns to rear. Plain boarded doors. Grey slates. Shouldered diamond-plan shafted ridge stacks. Cast-iron rainwater goods.
Statement of Special Interest
A good example of a pair cottages in estate style likely to be the first built in the village development, showing details characteristic of others houses in the village and making a strong contribution to the group. When built these cottages had a direct path to the rear to the now demolished Lamington House, suggesting they were designed for those in service in the house.
In 1838 Alexander Cochrane MP (b1816), grandson of the Earl of Dundonald, inherited the Baillie family estate of Lamington at which time he took on its name to become Alexander Baillie Cochrane. He became Lord Lamington in 1883. Baillie-Cochrane inherited a modest estate and set about rebuilding it from 1844 following his marriage to Anabella Drummond, and began by making large additions to the existing shooting lodge in Elizabethan style to form the, now demolished, Lamington House. At the time Lamington village was a series of bothies stretched along the old roadside to the south of the House. He set about building a new village in a programme of improvements to the NE of the house with the earliest building dating to the 1840s and the latest to the 1870s. At this time the main road was redirected to the NW between the two gate lodges to afford privacy to Lamington House and Estate. These village buildings survive today and maintain the character of a planned estate village as they were designed.
The architect of the village is not known however it is thought William Spence (1806?-1883) may have been involved in the building of some of the village estate buildings. He built Coulter Mains house in the adjacent Coulter Parish. Spence worked as an assistant to both David Bryce and William Burn and, the first house with which he was associated, Coulter Mains house, bears elements of the Burn and Bryce school. There are elements of design in the estate houses of the village which also have these characteristics.
The Lamington Papers held in the Mitchell Archive include a letter from Architect David Bryce in 1838 stating that he encloses his revised, scaled down plans for the shooting lodge at Lamington. It is not known whether he carried out the commission for the shooting lodge which became Lamington House or whether the job was completed by someone else. The architects Wardrop and Brown are known to have carried out a music room addition in 1858.
The carved 'ABC' stone to the central gable is the initials of Anabella Baillie Cochrane.
Formerly listed as 'Lamington Village, Various Cottages and Former Post Office' at category B. Revised as a separate listing and category changed to C(S) following resurvey (2010).