There are no additional online documents for this record.
- Group Category Details
- Date Added
- Local Authority
- Planning Authority
- NO 47048 60922
- 347048, 760922
Early 19th century with mid 20th century infill to former courtyard and alterations. Neo-classical U-plan former stableblock to SW of house comprised of single storey and attic, 9-bay principal elevation with single storey flanking wings; rectangular-plan infill block to courtyard. Roughly symmetrical S (principal) range with taller advanced centre and square end pavilions. Squared and snecked red sandstone with raised ashlar margins, ashlar to advanced sections; rubble to side and rear elevations. Base course; painted band course at ground floor to advanced sections; eaves course. Full-height slightly recessed round-arched detail to end pavilions with entrance openings at ground floor and square or oculus opening above. Predominately flat-arched openings.
S (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: 9 bays (arranged 1-3-1-3-1), advanced centre and end pavilions; that to centre with 2-leaf vertical timber-boarded doors and timber infill detail above set within round arched opening; that to left with mid-20th century alterations at ground floor. Advanced sections linked by 3 bay range with blocked entrances at centre to form square openings.
W ELEVATION: single storey and attic end pavilion to right; ground floor partially rebuilt and bipartite window inserted; oculus at attic floor. Single storey ranges to left; single-timber sliding door to right; openings predominantly blocked.
N (REAR) ELEVATION: 2 blank gables, that to centre mid 20th century infill block and advanced. 2 storey range to left with blocked opening.
E ELEVATION: single storey and attic end pavilion to left; oculus at attic floor. Single storey range to centre with round arched entrance to left and timber-boarded sliding garage door to right. 2 storey range to right with later brick lean-to.
Windows predominately replaced in uPVC; later ventilator grills to attic openings. Pitched roof; pyramidal roof to end pavilions; grey slates; corrugated roof to later infill block and to W wing. Some later rooflights to E pitch. Corniced ashlar stack to left pavilion.
INTERIOR: (partially seen 2011) original fixtures and fittings largely removed as part of 20th century remodelling.
Statement of Special Interest
B-Group consisting of Noranside House; Noranside Stables and Noranside Walled Garden (see separate listings).
Sited to the South West of Noranside House this building is a good example of an earlier 19th century stableblock and it is an important ancillary component of the Noranside estate. The stableblock exhibits good architectural details such as advanced central and end ashlar pavilions and a semi-circular timber fanlight detail to the principal entrance. Originally constructed as a U-plan building alterations were made to this building in the 20th century including the infilling of the courtyard to increase storage accommodation.
Noranside House was built for John Mill, a London merchant, who had acquired the estate of Fearn from the Carnegies of Southesk in 1766. His son, John Mill, extended the house and improved the estate in the early-mid 19th century with the addition of a stableblock to the South West and Gardener's House and Walled Garden to the North West (see separate listings). Constructed on the banks of the River Noran all the buildings are orientated toward the South and South West to take advantage of the views across the valley.
In 1914 the site became a sanatorium for the treatment of patients with tuberculosis. Additional buildings were constructed on the estate including wards, laundry and boiler house and nurses accommodation. From 1963 until October 2011 the site was used as a young offenders institute.
Category changed from B to C and list description updated 2012.
New Statistical Account (1835) pp198-199. A Jervise, History and Traditions of the Land of the Lindsays (1853), p192. D MacGregor Peter, The Baronage of Angus and Mearns (1856), pp244-245. Evident on 1st Edition Ordnance Survey (surveyed 1862, published 1865). F H Groome, Fearn or Fern as described in Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland (1882-4) at www.visionofbritain.org.uk (accessed 15 February 2012). J Gifford Buildings of Scotland: Dundee and Angus (2012), pp652.
About Listed Buildings
Listing is the way that a building or structure of special architectural or historic interest is recognised by law through the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.
We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest using the criteria published in the Historic Environment Scotland Policy Statement.
The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.
The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing and if a number or name is missing from a listing address it may still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing can also cover structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The planning authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. Since 1 October 2015 we have been able to exclude items from a listing. If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.
If you want to alter, extend or demolish a listed building you need to contact your planning authority to see if you need listed building consent. The planning authority advises on the need for listed building consent and they also decide what a listing covers. The planning authority is the main point of contact for all applications for listed building consent.
Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8716 or at email@example.com.
There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to NORANSIDE STABLES
There are no images available for this record.
Printed: 19/04/2019 05:40