Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.


Status: Designated


There are no additional online documents for this record.


Date Added
Local Authority
Argyll And Bute
Planning Authority
Argyll And Bute
NR 93432 78892
193432, 678892


Main fabric probably medieval (?13th century) but altered, eg in 1759, present arrangment by John Honeyman, 1882. Parish church, now harled and with exposed dressings all comparatively modern. East-west

orientation and plan form suggest medieval origin.

Crow-stepped 1633 (dated) Lamont family aisle on north flank (now sealed off from church) has rubble- built gable forestair, loft door now a window; iron- gated west-facing entrance to burial vault, some stones within bearing interlace ornament. Gothic hood-moulded pointed doorway in east gable with pair inset shafts and cusped oculus over, with dog-tooth all by Honeyman; other openings re-ordered, mainly single light/bipartite windows with chamfered jambs, pointed heads added also probably by Honeyman; plain door and gallery level window in west gable below bird-cage apex belfrey.

17th century sundial set in south east angle. Straight skews; slate roofs. Interior also by Honeyman.

Statement of Special Interest

Ecclesiastical building in use as such. Harling prevents fuller analysis of fabric.

Scheduled Area 23 December 2004. SAM 265.



RCAHM INVENTORY (Argyll 7) forthcoming 1990, for full account. OLD STATISTICAL ACCOUNT pp.248-9


About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at


There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to KILFINAN PARISH CHURCH

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 29/05/2020 03:07