Listed Building

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site only. All other information in the record is not statutory.

Brigton Farmhouse, excluding mill, former steading building and gatepiers, DouglastownLB12078

Status: Designated

Documents

Where documents include maps, the use of this data is subject to terms and conditions (https://portal.historicenvironment.scot/termsandconditions).

Summary

Category
C
Date Added
11/06/1971
Last Date Amended
22/05/2017
Local Authority
Angus
Planning Authority
Angus
Parish
Kinnettles
NGR
NO 41783 47210
Coordinates
341783, 747210

Description

A 2-storey, 3-bay, rectangular-plan farmhouse with a 1743 datestone. It has a symmetrical principal elevation to the southwest with central door. There is a single storey, early 20th century rectangular plan addition with a piended roof to the rear elevation. The farmhouse is built of stone and has been rendered. The windows are 4-pane timber sash and case to the front and there is non-traditional glazing to the rear. The roof is gabled and has grey slates, with straight skews and skew putts to the gable ends. The date 1743 is inscribed on the skewputt at the southeast corner. There are corniced gable end chimney stacks with clay cans.

The interior was seen in 2016 and consists of rooms flanking a central timber dog-leg staircase with a decorative cast iron balustrade. There are timber panelled doors and fireplaces with decorative surrounds and cast iron inserts.

To the southeast of the farmhouse is the steading and to the southwest is the altered mill building. Both have been extensively altered and have modern roofs. The stone gatepiers are to the southeast of the farmhouse and are square plan with pyramidal caps.

In accordance with Section 1 (4A) of the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 the following are excluded from the listing: former mill, former steading building and gatepiers.

Statement of Special Interest

Brigton is a good, representative example of an early Improvement farmhouse in Angus. While it has been moderately altered, the building has a simple design typical of its date and function and continues to form part of a traditional agricultural complex.

In accordance with Section 1 (4A) of the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 the following are excluded from the listing: former mill, former steading building and gatepiers.

Age and Rarity

The 1743 date on the farmhouse skewputt suggests the building was built in the mid-18th century. Taylor and Skinner's 1776 road survey map shows Brigton House (LB12074, 300m to the south-southeast of Brigton Farmhouse) and Milltoun (a settlement on the Glamis to Forfar road probably at present day Douglastown). Brigton Farmhouse is not visible, but this is a relatively schematic map. John Ainslie's map of 1794 and John Thomson's map of 1832 both show a small settlement between Brigton House and Douglaston, roughly at the location of Brigton Farmhouse, labelled Milltown in 1794 and Hillton in 1832.

Brigton Farmhouse is visible on the 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map of 1861, the earliest detailed map of the area, and is depicted with a small extension to the northwest gable. By the time of the 2nd Edition Ordnance Survey map (surveyed 1901) the extension is not depicted. The current footprint of the building is the same as that shown on the 3rd Edition Ordnance Survey map (surveyed 1922), which illustrates a small extension to the northeast.

The Ordnance Survey Name Book of 1861 mentions Brigton Farm as a 'farm house and offices the property of William Douglas Esqr. Of Brigton'. The Douglas family had acquired the estate around 1762. The name book also lists J Guthrie as occupier, based on a rent receipt from the valuation roll of 1861.

Brigton Farmhouse is an early and largely intact example of a building associated with the first phase of the agricultural improvement period in Scotland. Although there have been later alterations to the farm's ancillary buildings (which are not listed) the grouping of agricultural buildings can still be appreciated.

Architectural or Historic Interest

Interior

Some 18th century detailing is evident in the farmhouse interior, such as the stair balustrade and room layout. Such detailing is typical for a farmhouse of this period and adds interest in listing terms.

Plan form

The footprint of the building is largely unaltered from that shown on the 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map. The internal arrangement of the farmhouse, with rooms flanking a central staircase, is typical for a building of this date and type. Although some internal subdivision has occurred to the northeast, possibly in the early 20th century with the addition of a single storey extension, the plan form remains largely intact.

Technological excellence or innovation, material or design quality

The principal elevation of Brigton Farmhouse is turned away from the present road to the northeast but Ainslie's map of 1794 shows a former road to the west. The design of Brigton Farmhouse is typically simple for a building of this date and type. It has symmetrical proportions and the principal elevation is largely unaltered. Some early 20th century alterations have occurred to the northeast elevation, however these are minor and have not affected the interest in listing terms.

Setting

The immediate setting of the building has not changed significantly from that shown on the 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map (surveyed 1861). The farmhouse retains garden ground to the southwest and the nearest of the farm buildings to the southeast still stands, although its roof has been altered. The farmhouse is set to one side of the open courtyard of ancillary farm buildings, and this is not unusual. The ancillary farm buildings, although altered and not listed in their own right, form part of this farm group. While some buildings have been altered and others demolished, the relationship between the farmhouse and the steading has been retained.

Further to the southeast is Brigton House (LB12074) with its former kitchen garden. The wider setting also adds to the interest of the farmhouse, which remains readable as part of an agricultural complex.

The former mill building is situated to the southwest and is visible from the farmhouse. It has been altered and is not designated.

Regional variations

There are no known regional variations.

Close Historical Associations

There are no known associations with a person or event of national importance at present (2017).

Listed building record updated and category of listing changed from B to C (2017).

References

Bibliography

Canmore: http://canmore.org.uk/ CANMORE ID 200990

Maps

Taylor, G. and Skinner, A. (1776). Survey and Maps of the Roads of North Britain and Scotland. Road form Perth to Brechine. London.

Ainslie, J. (1794) Map of the County of Forfar or Shire of Angus. Edinburgh: Ainslie.

Thomson, J. (1832) Atlas of Scotland. Northern part of Angus Shire (bottom section). Edinburgh: J Thomson & Co.

Ordnance Survey. Forfar Sheet XXXVIII.14 (Kinnettles) (Surveyed 1861, published 1865). 1st Edition. 25 inches to the mile. Southampton: Ordnance Survey.

Archives

Ordnance Survey Name Book. Forfarshire (Angus) Ordnance Survey Name Books, 1857-1861. Volume 56, p9.

Old Statistical Account. Kinnettles, County of Forfar, Vol IX, 1793. Rev Mr David Ferney.

New Statistical Account. Kinnetles, County of Forfar, Vol XI, 1845. Rev W Clugston, A.M.

Printed Sources

Kinnettles and District Heritage Group, 2010 Brigton Mill Survey Report, unpublished report on a Scotland's Rural Past project.

Knight, N. and Kinnettles Heritage Group. (2000) Kinnettles Kist. Angus Council Print & Design Unit. https://kdhg.files.wordpress.com/2012/05/kinnettles-kist.pdf

Glendinning, M and Wade Martins, S. (2009) Buildings of the Land: Scotland's Farms 1750-2000. : Edinburgh: Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland.

About Listed Buildings

Listing is the way that a building or structure of special architectural or historic interest is recognised by law through the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest using the criteria published in the Historic Environment Scotland Policy Statement.

The statutory listing address is the legal part of the listing. The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The planning authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historicenvironment.scot. Since 1 October 2015 we have been able to exclude items from a listing. If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.

If you want to alter, extend or demolish a listed building you need to contact your planning authority to see if you need listed building consent. The planning authority is the main point of contact for all applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot. You can contact us on 0131 668 8716 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

Brigton Farmhouse, Douglastown principal elevation, looking south, during daytime, on clear day with blue sky.
Brigton Farmhouse, Douglastown principal elevation, looking south, during daytime with blue sky.

Map

Map

Printed: 18/11/2018 14:17