There are no additional online documents for this record.
- Category: B
- Date Added: 20/07/1971
- Local Authority: Argyll And Bute
- Planning Authority: Argyll And Bute
- Parish: Kingarth
National Grid Reference
- NGR: NS 10451 63035
- Coordinates: 210451, 663035
Dated 1678; exterior and interior alterations to form holiday accommodation late 20th century. T-plan, 17th century former laird?s house set on sloping site. 2-storey with attic, 6-bay to E (front); full-height, crowstepped stair tower off-set to right of centre; single storey with attic, 5-bay to W (rear). Whitewashed rubble; red sandstone ashlar dressings (slightly droved at ground to E). Stop-chamfered surrounds to 1st floor openings; finialed gabled dormers breaking eaves to E and W; crowstepped skews. Separate 2-storey with attic, single bay tower (former Edwardian stair tower) to N: harl-pointed rubble sandstone (whitewashed harl to W); red sandstone ashlar dressings. Moulded string course; chamfered corners to NE and NW corbelled out to square above. Stugged rubble quoins; stugged long and short surrounds to chamfered openings; chamfered cills; finialed gableheaded dormers; crowstepped skews. Single storey, 9-bay outbuilding and separate single storey, single bay garage to NW; harl-pointed sandstone rubble; tooled rubble quoins; tooled long and short rubble surrounds to openings.
E (FRONT) ELEVATION MAIN HOUSE: projecting stair tower off-set to right of centre comprising single windows at ground and attic; iron-studded boarded timber door at ground in return to right; blind, architraved square panel centred above; single attic light off-set to left. Blind openings with small lights inset at ground in all bays flanking tower; regularly fenestrated at 1st floor; finialed dormers aligned above. W (REAR) ELEVATION: stair to boarded timber door centred at ground; blind, architraved square panel centred above; single windows flanking entrance; single dormers aligned above; small, square windows at ground in bays to outer left and right.
Replacement 6-, 12- and 15-pane timber sash and case glazing. Graded grey slate roof; crowstepped skews; replacement rainwater goods. Corniced sandstone apex stacks to N and S (some circular cans); corniced apex stack to stair tower.
INTERIOR: adapted for new use but some original stone fireplaces; fragment of carved chimneypiece in kitchen (prominent voussoir arch); timber skirting boards; timber dado panelling; timber panelled shutters.
S (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION FORMER STAIR TOWER: replacement timber panelled door at ground off-set to left of centre; single window aligned at 1st floor. E (SIDE) ELEVATION: single window centred at ground; finialed dormer above. N (REAR) ELEVATION: large bipartite (stair) window centred at 2nd stage; stone mullion; flanking corniced stops beneath corbelled string course; bullseye window centred in apex above. W (SIDE) ELEVATION: narrow single window centred at ground; finialed dormer above.
Predominantly 2- and 12-pane timber sash and case windows; mullioned and transomed bipartite. Graded grey slate roof; crowstepped skews; replacement rainwater goods.
INTERIOR: not seen 1996.
OUTBUILDING: single storey, 4-bay block with lower, 5-bay wing adjoining to S; segmental-arched openings throughout. Boarded timber door in penultimate bay outer left N block; single windows in remaining bays to left and right. 2-leaf boarded timber opening in penultimate bay to outer right S block; single boarded timber door in penultimate bay to outer left; single windows in remaining bays. Corrugated-iron roof. INTERIOR: empty.
GARAGE: 2-leaf boarded timber garage doors centred in E elevation. Graded grey slate piend. INTERIOR: not seen 1996.
GARDEN WALL: coped harl-pointed random rubble wall beneath wooded hill to W (former kitchen/walled garden).
Statement of Special Interest
Today owned by the Landmark Trust and rented out, as a single property, for holiday accommodation. Upon acquisition by the Trust, the house was engulfed by Victorian additions (see NMRS archives). Aiming to restore the original proportions, these additions were removed in the late 20th century, leaving the main crowstepped block dated 1678 and a separate Edwardian stair tower in which the Trust formed another bedroom. Refurbishment and conversion has been sympathetic and architectural interest remains - note the crowstepped skews, finialed dormers, dated tympanums, polished sandstone dressings and relatively intact interior. The paths and terraces to the E of the main block are said to be the remains of a late Victorian formal garden, designed by Edward La Trobe Bateman (1816-1897) - a book illuminator, interior decorator and landscape artist who was also responsible for the gardens at Ascog Hall (see separate list entry). The nearby Meikle Ascog is also owned by the Landmark Trust (see separate list entry). Pink Lodge, the estate?s former gatelodge, is listed separately with the boundary walls and gatepiers.
J Wilson WILSON'S GUIDE TO ROTHESAY AND THE ISLE OF BUTE (1848) p98; appears on Ordnance Survey map, 1863 and 1897; A Neale EDWARD LA TROBE BATEMAN: BIBLIOGRAPHY AND CHRONOLOGY (1988); F Walker & F Sinclair NORTH CLYDE ESTUARY: AN ILLUSTRATED ARCHITECTURAL GUIDE (1992) p155; THE LANDMARK HANDBOOK (1996) p4-5; NMRS photographic archives.
Listing is the way that a building or structure of special architectural or historic interest is recognised by law through the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.
We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest using the criteria published in the Historic Environment Scotland Policy Statement.
The statutory listing address is the legal part of the listing. The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.
Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The planning authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historicenvironment.scot. Since 1 October 2015 we have been able to exclude items from a listing. If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.
If you want to alter, extend or demolish a listed building you need to contact your planning authority to see if you need listed building consent. The planning authority is the main point of contact for all applications for listed building consent.
Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot. You can contact us on 0131 668 8716 or at firstname.lastname@example.org.
There are no images available for this record.