James Hamilton, 1842-43. Near-symmetrical, rectangular-plan single bay former United Free church with single storey porch projecting to front (lean-to addition adjoined to right); 3-stage Italianate belfry centred at rear (corniced and recessed at each stage). Whitewashed harl; yellow sandstone dressings. Raised base course; eaves course beneath overhanging timber bracketed eaves. Strip quoins; architraved surrounds to openings (predominantly round-arched); chamfered reveals; stone mullions to bipartites. Polished quoins to belfry at ground; shouldered margins at 2nd stage; square-headed margins above.
SW (FRONT) ELEVATION: blind Venetian window centred in apex above piended porch comprising square-headed single window beneath gabled eaves; surmounting pedimented arch; flanking stylised consoles.
NW (SIDE) ELEVATION: 4 regularly-spaced round-arched windows to main hall; single timber door (entrance) set in recessed porch to outer right; recessed belfry to outer left comprising 2-leaf timber door at ground; round-arched surround; blind 2nd stage; louvred bipartite opening beneath overhanging eaves at 3rd stage.
SE (SIDE) ELEVATION: 4 regularly-spaced round-arched windows to main hall; boarded timber doors in lean-to addition to outer left; recessed belfry to outer right as above.
NE (REAR) ELEVATION: projecting belfry at centre comprising narrow square-headed window at ground; narrow round-arched window at 2nd stage; louvred bipartite opening centred beneath overhanging eaves at 3rd stage. Blind, round-arched openings recessed at ground in bays to outer left and right.
Predominantly small-paned stained glazing to main hall (some decorative stained glass); timber-mullioned glazing to remaining openings. Graded grey slate shallow-pitched roof to main hall; graded grey slate piended porch; shallow-pitched piend surmounting belfry (finial missing). Replacement rainwater goods; corniced apex stack to SW; cans missing.
INTERIOR: boarded timber dado; timber pews; corniced timber door-surrounds. Carved octagonal baptismal font; round-arched pilastered screen behind timber panelled pulpit to SW; flanking timber panelled doors. Single door centred at rear (NE); balustraded, round-arched blind opening aligned above. Decorative ceiling with architraved groins forming symmetrical, geometric pattern; painted bosses; regularly-spaced armorial shields set in cornice; replacement light fittings.
BOUNDARY WALL AND PIERS: coped low wall enclosing site to SW; stop-chamfered, painted square-plan piers flanking vehicular entrance; pyramidal caps.
Statement of Special Interest
Ecclesiastical building in use as such. A simple but nevertheless, dignified church with some interesting features - shallow-pitched gables, an Italianate belfry recessing with each of its 3 stages, a blind Venetian window and relatively intact interior. Opened for public worship on Sunday 9th June 1843, it became the first new permanent church building of the Free Church of Scotland. Wilson quotes a visitor?s first impressions - "...on a point of rock jutting out into the water, a kirk has been erected in connection with the Church of Scotland. The spot is exceedingly picturesque; and the church, destitute of everything like ornament, is rendered interesting to the stranger from the dignified solitude of its situation" (p90). Although some have cited David Hamilton as architect, the fact that he was incapacitated by illness and indeed, died in 1843, makes it far more likely that his son, James, was responsible for the design and building of the church.