Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.


Status: Designated


There are no additional online documents for this record.


Date Added
Supplementary Information Updated
Local Authority
Planning Authority
NO 57647 49619
357647, 749619


Dated 1822, altered at rear. Interesting, early, single storey, 6-bay pair of cottages prominently sited on main Forfar to Friockheim road, with Gothic-arched openings and dated skewputts to principal elevation. Ashlar with deep base course and raised cills, squared rubble and dry dash to sides and rear.

FURTHER DESCRIPTION: symmetrical principal elevation to S incorporating door with flanking windows to each side of centre ridge stack. Deep skewputts with relief carved date, '18' to outer left and '22' to outer right.

Decoratively-astragalled timber windows to principal elevation, those to East Damside retain sash and case openings, those to West Damside with pivot openings. Non-traditional roofing; brick stacks with thackstanes; broad skews with deep block skewputts.

Statement of Special Interest

Damside Cottages, which form part of the loose-knit hamlet of Guthrie, retain evidence of their early origins with their unaltered openings facing the main road from Forfar to Friockheim. Dated 1822, and with a high quality ashlar principal elevation, the pointed-arch openings are a rare feature and the cottages form a distinctive part of the streetscape.

The cottages, originally of a simple rectangular-plan, appear unnamed on the 1st edition Ordnance Survey map. The name Damside may have been added some time later owing to their siting close to the route of the long mill lade running from the Lunan Water (to the north west) to a nearby mill dam at the north east. The lade ran eastward from the dam to Pitmuies corn and lint mill on the outskirts of Friockheim. Although it has not been possible to confirm, Damside Cottages may have been connected with the House of Pitmuies which was undergoing a number of fashionable alterations during the early years of the 19th century. The Gothic Revival interest, seen here in the pointed-arch windows, was introduced at the House of Pitmuies by Mr Mudie who had purchased the house in 1780. His embellishments included the addition of castellated detail to the dovecot and building a Gothic laundry which may have been intended as a tea house.

Category changed from B to C(S) in 2009.



1st and 2nd edition Ordnance Survey Maps, Forfarshire (1857-62 and 1898-1902). Architectural Heritage Society of Scotland Angus Spring Study Tour (2000).

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at


There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to GUTHRIE, EAST AND WEST DAMSIDE COTTAGES

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 29/05/2020 02:57