Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.


Status: Designated


There are no additional online documents for this record.


Date Added
Local Authority
Argyll And Bute
Planning Authority
Argyll And Bute
Lochgoilhead And Kilmorich
National Park
Loch Lomond And The Trossachs
NN 19238 1511
219238, 701511


Drimsynie House, built 1859-60, is a large castellated mansion, square plan (incorporating a service courtyard) with a 3-storey entrance tower and hoodmoulded openings. This 2-storey and basement house is built on a slight sloping site, looking out to Loch Goil to the S; it sits at the heart of a late 20th century caravan and chalet park, largely built on the garden grounds of Drimsynie House. In the 1970s, a large single storey leisure complex was built, directly adjoining the mansion house, wrapping around its SE corner at basement level. Drimsynie House is an example of a mid-19th century small mansion, and a good, although late, example of the cubic composition and castellated style which was particularly popular in the earlier 19th century. It retains most of the original interior features and, despite 20th century additions, continues to make a positive architectural contribution to its prominent setting.


Drimsynie House was built for Ronald Livingstone, a Liverpool merchant, replacing an earlier house which was situated just the south of the present building. The Clan Livingstone coat of arms and family motto are displayed on the pediment above the main door of the house. The design of Drimsynie House is thought likely to have been the work of James Smith, a Glasgow architect.

The W entrance front has a slightly advanced entrance tower, with steps leading up to the principal floor. To the N side of the tower is a single storey section, one room deep, which provides a screen for the service courtyard which lies beyond. This open courtyard, bounded to the N and E by a battlemented screen wall, was originally accessed by carriages through a large pointed arched opening in the E wall, but this was later blocked up and only a pedestrian entry in the N wall remains.

The rectangular windows, predominantly in groups of two or three, provide the public rooms on the principal floor with excellent views of the loch, while smaller segmentally headed windows light the more private 1st floor rooms. The castellated square corner turrets are both aesthetic and practical, enforcing the fortress-like character of the house, but also concealing chimney stacks behind their parapets.


The interior is relatively unaltered, and retains a great deal of original plasterwork, particularly in the public rooms, including wall borders and ornate cornicing and ceiling decoration. The original woodwork is largely extant, and much of it, including door architraves and shutters, is embellished with a recurring motif of a carved, four-petalled flower. There is also some marquetry and parquetry flooring, particularly in the hall. There are several chimneypieces; those in the principal public rooms are of marble. Some 1st floor rooms have been subdivided.


Roughcast, with narrow painted stone margins and quoins; brick margins and quoins to some parts of courtyard elevations. Mainly single-pane timber sash and case windows. Mixture of cast-iron and plastic rainwater goods. Roof concealed by castellated parapet.



1st edition OS map (1862-77); Argyll and Bute Archives, Argyll Valuation Roll, 1859-60; Walker, F. A., Argyll and Bute, (2000), 387.

About Listed Buildings

Listing is the way that a building or structure of special architectural or historic interest is recognised by law through the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest using the criteria published in the Historic Environment Scotland Policy Statement.

The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing and if a number or name is missing from a listing address it may still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing can also cover structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The planning authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. Since 1 October 2015 we have been able to exclude items from a listing. If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.

If you want to alter, extend or demolish a listed building you need to contact your planning authority to see if you need listed building consent. The planning authority advises on the need for listed building consent and they also decide what a listing covers. The planning authority is the main point of contact for all applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at You can contact us on 0131 668 8716 or at


There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to DRIMSYNIE HOUSE HOTEL

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 25/04/2019 14:52