Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.


Status: Designated


There are no additional online documents for this record.


Date Added
Local Authority
Argyll And Bute
Planning Authority
Argyll And Bute
NS 34016 78278
234016, 678278


From 1766 with earlier and mid 19th century additions and alterations. 2-storey, asymmetrical, rambling-plan house forming approximate L-plan with mid 19th single storey block to outer right. Harled and cement rendered.

SINGLE STOREY BLOCK NW (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: crowstepped, finialled gabled entrance porch advanced off-centre to left, moulded door surround, narrow flanking window. Half-piend roofed block advanced to outer right, 3 narrow, closely spaced windows; lean-to block in outer left corner. Long axis of main house advanced to outer left.

2-STOREY RANGE SW ELEVATION: long axis; smooth cement harl. Later 18th century 2-storey, 3-bay house to right with later, taller 2-bay block to left. Older house with 3 broadly-spaced, symmetrically disposed bays, door at centre ground, now blocked as window. 1st floor windows directly below eaves. 2, 8-pane cast-iron rooflights. Taller 2-bay block, bays symmetrically disposed, inner ground floor window blocked as smaller window.

NW ELEVATION: balustraded screen wall enclosing courtyard, segmental- headed archway at centre, modern boarded door; flanking segmental- headed openings, that to left blind, keystones. 2-storey house behind with crowstepped gables flanking narrow centre bay, blocked openings in right gable.

SE ELEVATION: 7 bays asymmetrically disposed; blank bay at centre, gablet breaking eaves, tall coped wallhead stack; closely flanking barred windows; window to outer right. 3 closely spaced bays to outer left, window, blank outer bays, gablet breaking eaves with wallhead stack.

NE ELEVATION: 2-storey block to outer right, 4 windows symmetrically disposed. Infill rubble wall to left, blank rubble gable; bipartite at ground, 2 closely spaced bipartites at 1st floor on left return. End wall of single storey block to outer left, windows with gablet breaking eaves, stack at centre.

8-pane, 12-pane sash and case windows; 9-pane cast-iron rooflights. Grey slate roof, lead flashings; moulded cement roof ridging. Tall, coped wallhead stacks on single storey block, circular cans. Cement-rendered, coped, ridge and gablehead stacks on main block.

INTERIOR: 6-panelled door with 10-pane fanlight leads into long corridor running NE-SW. Square vestibule, large door framed by consoles; 3 pilaster flanked keystoned niches above door; drawing room with plain chimneypieces; basket-arched, pilaster-flanked and keystoned recesses. 6-panelled doors, niches above; plain cornices and plasterwork. 2-storey house with low ceilinged rooms.

WALLED GARDEN: dated 1797. Large walled garden laid out to NE of house. Rubble wall with harl-pointing, slab coping. Large lean-to 19th century green house against N wall; Makenzie and Moncur. Half-piend-roofed storage shed in NW corner; masking former arched window, datestone 1797, now infilled with wooden casement window, overlooks weirs of coursed burn outside walls which collects in pond. Cannons in garden. Small woodland walk to S of house, well, droved ashlar round-headed wallhead inscribed 10th March 1863 ITG and HEG.

Statement of Special Interest

The land of Geilston was owned by the Woods family from the 16th century, then by a branch of the Bontines form the 17th century, the Buchanans of Tullichewan, and Donalds of Lyleston in the 18th century until 1805. In 1805 the land and house were sold to General Thomas Geils. Geils has already acquired Ardardan and Ardmore in 1798. The house was acquired by the Hendry family in 1925 and the present garden was laid out by Elizabeth Hendry and Margaret Bell from the early 1950s. The dovecot and stables are listed separately.



F A Walker and F Sinclair NORTH CLYDE ESTUARY (1992), p62. OS 1st edition 1865. Arthur F Jones CARDROSS THE VILLAGE IN DAYS GONE BY (1985), p85. SCOTTISH FIELD September 1970.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at


There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to CARDROSS, GEILSTON HOUSE WITH WALLED GARDEN AND GREEN HOUSE

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 25/05/2019 02:33