Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.


Status: Designated


There are no additional online documents for this record.


Date Added
Local Authority
South Ayrshire
Planning Authority
South Ayrshire
Kirkmichael (S Ayrshire)
NS 35938 7683
235938, 607683


Mid 19th century. Single storey with attic, 7-bay, U-plan former stable block and courtyard in Gothic style on ground sloping down steeply to W (converted to holiday accommodation 2006). Prominent central round arched pend with heavily corbelled crenellated bartizaned parapet wallhead with blank crossheads and arrowslits to principal (E) elevation; corresponding squared bartizan corner towers to outer gables and lower range wings extending to W to form courtyard. Tall ashlar courtyard wall to W with stone steps down to 5-bay lean-to store and separate wc compartment. Stugged coursed ashlar with chamfered droved surrounds; rubble stonework to outer wings. Base course, eaves course to parapet wall. Single and bi-partite round arched lucarne windows to entrance elevation; predominantly shallow arched voussoired cartshed openings to courtyard (infilled with modern glazing, 2006); central pend flanked by single window openings; early 21st century flat roofed leaded box dormers with overhanging eaves to side wings.

Predominantly double-glazed multi-pane timber sash and case windows; conservation style roof lights; slate roofs; angled skews to gables; beaked skewputts to side wings; corniced square ashlar ridge and gable-end stacks; cast-iron rainwater goods.

Statement of Special Interest

The stable block probably dates to the remodelling of Cloncaird Castle in 1814. It is a good example of a Classical estate stable block, with fine stone detailing and an imposing symmetrical entrance façade. Although the interior has been remodelled to form holiday accommodation the exterior and original plan layout survive intact, and form an important grouping with the castle and other ancillary buildings on the estate.

Cloncaird Castle, which stands on a precipitous slope alongside the Kelsie Burn, was built around a 16th century core in 1814 for Henry Ritchie of Craiton and Busbie. Ritchie was succeeded by his second son William Wallace in 1843 and it remained in the Wallace family until sold in 1905 to Mrs Dubs, the widow of an industrialist. Colonel Wallace, who had sold the castle to Mrs Dubs, went on to marry her in 1908, reinistating himself as a result. Most of the interior remodelling of the castle is thought to date to the renovations by Mrs Dubs around this time. This included the introduction of fine ornate plasterwork, one plaque of which is signed by W Hubert Paton. On Mrs Dubs death in 1947 the castle became a convalescent home, run by the local authority. It was returned to private residential use in the later 20th century.



1st Edition Ordnance Survey Map (1854-59). M Davis, Castles and Mansions of Ayrshire (1991), pp 207-8.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at


There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to CLONCAIRD CASTLE, STABLE BLOCK AND BOUNDARY WALL, STEPS AND ANCILLARY STRUCTURES

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 17/07/2019 05:37