Lord Strathmore; stone mason, Alexander Crow. Late 17th century, re-erected on this site late 18th century, gates 1931; dated 1881 and 1931. Classical gateway, bowed on plan, with castellated Tudor screen walls and lodge. Weathered droved ashlar with base course, eaves course and carved rustic coping, deeply crenellated wallhead to flanking screen walls. Hoodmoulds, keystone, moulded window margins and stone mullions.
W (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: tall keystoned round arch to centre with satyres in flanking niches and band course giving way to carved foliage cresting with coronet at centre; flanking fluted and banded pilasters each with plain plinth and projecting above cornice into square-section gatepier with flanking scrollwork and stone-finialled cavetto cornice. Lower, flat-coped outer piers with carved lions standing on hind legs. Crenellated screen wall to right with pedestrian gateway to left, dated 1931, and 2 bipartite windows (blinded as diamond-pattern glazing) to centre, carved heraldic beast to outer crenellation; wallhead sloping to low corniced square-section pier at outer right, and boundary wall adjoining beyond; screen wall to left mirrors that to right but with pedestrian gateway dated 1881.
N ELEVATION: centre arch with nude reliefs in flanking niches and pilasters as above; screen wall to right with pedestrian gateway to left and slated, piended lodge beyond with blocked windows to N and 2-leaf boarded timber door to E. Screen wall to left with pedestrian gateway.
GATES: decorative wrought-iron gates with coat-of-arms to centre.
Statement of Special Interest
Property of Strathmore Estates (Holding) Ltd. By 1683 the grounds had been remodelled with a new formal axial approach and three gates, the Outer, De?il (middle) and Gladiator Gates (inner). Landscaping in the picturesque style led, in 1774, to the demolition of the court walls in front of the castle, but the gates were relocated to policy perimeters with the De-il Gate sited at the S entrance. The Outer and Gladiator Gates were moved to the SE (Church Lodge) entrance and N Lodge entrance respectively. The wrought-iron gates were a Golden Wedding Anniversary gift to the 14th Earl and Countess of Strathmore from the Duke and Duchess of York. Stirton attributes the satyres and lions (and gladiators at N Lodge Gate) to Santvoort who was paid the sum of ?394 in 1684, too great a figure for the amount of work done at the Castle.