Possibly John Paterson, circa 1800. 2-storey with attic and basement, 5-bay classical house with blind Doric portico, piend and platform roof with circular cupola. Snecked squared rubble with droved ashlar margins. Moulded cill course, band courses and eaves cornice with small blocking course. Segmental headed doorpiece with paired flanking columns and corniced balustrade. Voussoirs and stone mullions.
NW (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: centre bay with stair and iron railings leading to broad panelled timber door with flanking lights and sunburst-astragalled fanlight, balustrade above giving way to wide centre tripartite (outer lights blinded); regular fenestration to slightly set back outer bays at each floor (including basement).
SE (RIVER) ELEVATION: conical-roofed bowed centre bay with 3 windows to each floor and regular fenestration to flanking bays.
SW ELEVATION: centre door at basement with variety of openings to outer bays (see Notes), regular fenestration to 3 bays of each floor above.
NE ELEVATION: 3 windows to each floor, basement with small timber door to outer left.
9- and 12-pane glazing pattern in timber sash and case windows. Grey slates and cast-iron rooflights. Droved ashlar stacks.
INTERIOR: good decorative scheme in place including galleried circular hall with classical cornice and frieze, further swagged frieze to glazed conical cupola. 6-panelled architraved doors radiating from central hall. Drawing room with Adam style carved fireplace (not original); further timber fireplaces and cast-iron grates. Kitchen with large arched fireplace and bread oven 'C H & G NICOLL MAKERS DUNDEE'. Vaulted cellars.
Statement of Special Interest
Group with Lodge House, Coach House and Walled Garden. The original Seasyde House dated from the mid 17th century, and belonged to the father of Admiral Duncan of Camperdown. By the middle of the 18th century the estate had passed to the Hunters, a local farming family, who built the current house. Paterson drawings amongst Camperdown papers, dated 1797, show a larger house of similar plan, and the now demolished 'Seggieden' was also similar. Parts of the basement toward the west probably belong to the original house. The current owners are connected with the Rothes family, of Ballinbreich Castle and Leslie House in Fife. The fine pyramidally-coped square-section ashlar gatepiers were imported during the late 20th century.