James Dempster, 1826-7, bombed 1941, ruin preserved as monument in 1954. Gothic tower with flanking buttressed bays; wall to cill level delineating original rectangular plan of church. Ashlar-faced with ashlar margins and dressings; battered base course.
NW ELEVATION AND TOWER: 2-stage tower with crenellated parapet; angle buttresses, spikey pinnacles with crocketted finials. Main elevation, pointed arch, 3-light, plate traceried windows symmetrically disposed at each stage; string course. Moulded pointed arch door on right return, now blocked, possibly later hoodmould with red sandstone carved mask labelstops; plaque with floreate boss above; window at upper stage (detailed as above). Symmetrical flanking bays each with hoodmoulded lancet and ashlar parapet to skews. Low square-plan block in re-entrant angle to left, former boiler.
SW AND NE ELEVATIONS: original wall partially carried around, remains of chamfered window surround, part of hoodmould. 1954 wall carried to cill level mirroring the original walls.
SE (INNER) ELEVATION: rubble inner wall of tower, door at ground, partially blocked; 3-centred pointed window blocked at upper level.
GATES, GATEPIERS AND BOUNDARY WALL: gabletted ashlar gatepiers with recessed panels, arrowhead cast-iron gates, wrought-iron overthrow with lantern. Squared sandstone rubble wall with some harl pointing and later cement pointing.
GRAVEYARD AND MONUMENTS: number of interesting 17th, 18th and 19th century grave monuments.
BURIAL ENCLOSURES: pair of early 19th century rectangular-plan identical burial enclosures side by side against NW wall; ashlar; base course; sandstone eaves course; crenellated coped parapets; red sandstone pediment armorial plaque at centre, door at centre, flanking ashlar oval plaques.
ENCLOSURE TO LEFT: "Charles Johnston 1827" inscribed in right oval; blank left plaque. Boarded door, modern galvanised roof; gunloops.
ENCLOSURE TO RIGHT: roofless; doorless. Lintel of door with faded inscription; flanking blank ovals. Table monument to John Innes inside.
ENCLOSURE IN CORNER: pink sandstone gothic wall monument to Burn family in NE corner. Trefoil-headed blind arcade along 2 sides with low plinth wall and railings enclosing to right, railings to front removed. Arcade carried on colonettes, terminated by sawtooth, gabletted pier buttresses; B inscribed in gablet. Engraved pink granite panels in centre arches of back wall; armorial plaque above right hand arch; Grey granite Greek cross discs in squinches.
Along W boundary wall are a number of early 17th and 18th century remains of monuments.