Probably early 19th century with later alterations and probably incorporating earlier fabric (see Notes). 2-storey, roughly 6-bay, rectangular-plan irregularly fenestrated house with gablehead and central ridge stacks, off-centre porch, and gabled and lean-to outshots to rear. Painted random rubble.
FURTHER DETAILS: half-glazed timber-boarded door in slated porch to left of centre of front (N) elevation. Irregular fenestration to both floors. Irregularly fenestrated rear (S) elevation with lean-to outshot to left of centre and gabled outshot with gablehead stack to right; timber-boarded back doors to both outshots; 2 rooflights to attic of main building.
4-pane glazing in timber sash and case windows of various sizes. Coped stacks with predominantly octagonal yellow clay cans. Ashlar-coped skews. Purple Welsh slate with ridge tiles.
INTERIOR: largely modernised; simple painted granite ashlar chimneypiece in old kitchen.
STEADING RANGE: later 19th century (see Notes) L-plan steading range with timber-boarded doors, hayloft entrance to E gable, and large sliding doors to E elevation of W range. Cobbled floor. Random rubble with dressed quoins. Welsh and Scottish slate.
BOTHY: late 19th century. Single storey, 3-bay derelict cottage to SW of steading. Squared, coursed dressed granite with pinning stones. Central timber-boarded door with flanking windows. Lean-to outshot to S gable. Coped gablehead stacks. Welsh slate. Simple chimney pieces to both rooms.
STORE: 19th century gabled rectangular-plan store or byre to NW of house. Random rubble with squared quoins and corrugated-iron roof.
Statement of Special Interest
A substantial estate house showing several periods of construction and occupying a prominent position at the W end of Loch Lee. Inchgrundle is marked on Timothy Pont's map and most subsequent maps, and it is likely that there has always been a settlement of some sort here. The present building however, probably dates from the early 19th century, or possibly the late 18th century. The house has the appearance of having been built as 2 adjoining 2-storey, 3-bay houses, although the ground-floor fenestration has been somewhat altered. The 1926 plan of the house corroborates this theory as it shows 2 entrances with porches to the front elevation of the house, although it appears that the house was already a single residence at that time. The W end of the house appears to be the older half, and a projecting boulder base around the W gable indicates that the wall of an older cottage is incorporated into the present building.
The steading was rebuilt between the publication of the 1st and 2nd edition OS maps, although the S range may have formed part of the earlier steading. The bothy, which is marked as a shepherd's cottage on the 1926 plan, first appears on the 2nd edition OS map (1900), and was probably built in the late 19th century.