Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

LOCHLEE OLD PARISH CHURCH AND CHURCHYARDLB11356

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
C
Date Added
11/06/1971
Supplementary Information Updated
09/08/2019
Local Authority
Angus
Planning Authority
Angus
Parish
Lochlee
NGR
NO 43115 80123
Coordinates
343115, 780123

Description

Probably late 17th century. Ruined remains of gabled church standing in roughly square grave yard enclosed by random rubble boundary walls. Several interesting 18th and early 19th century gravestones.

CHURCH: E and W gables and N wall complete to wallhead; intermittent remains of S wall. Window in E gable. Random granite rubble.

GRAVEYARD: random rubble enclosure with iron gate to E. Various 18th and 19th century grave stones including monument to Alexander Ross (see Notes).

Statement of Special Interest

Ecclesiastical building, now ruinous and no longer in use. Picturesque remains of probably late 17th century church with church yard situated prominently on the shore of Loch Lee.

The church was dedicated to St Drostan, who is believed to have founded a church on this site in the late 8th century. The original church (or a replacement) was demolished in the Cromwellian period, and the present building probably dates from the late 17th century. Alexander Gold describes the church as thatched with heather, and according to the Old Statistical Account it was slated in 1784. The church fell out of use when the new Parish Church was built in 1803, although the graveyard continued to be used by certain families until the mid 19th century. According to Gold the church bell did not hang in the church, but 'hangs in a wooden bell-house, about 10 feet high, adjoining to the Manse, and not in a tree, as formerly'.

In the churchyard is a memorial to Alexander Ross (1699-1784), who was the local schoolmaster and author of 'The Fortunate Shepherdess', a pastoral poem in the Scottish dialect that was much admired by Robert Burns and others. A number of epitaphs on other gravestones in the graveyard are attributed to him. Category changed from B to C(S) in 2006.

References

Bibliography

A Gold, A GEOGRAPHICAL DESCRIPTION OF THE PARISHES OF EDZELL, LOCHLEE, etc.. (1764) at National Archives, reference GD45/26/70. OLD STATISTICAL ACCOUNT, Volume 5 (1793), pp365-6. A J Warden, ANGUS OR FORFARSHIRE, Volume IV (1884), p221. Ordnance Survey Name Book, FORFARSHIRE, PARISH OF LOCHLEE, Book 63.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to LOCHLEE OLD PARISH CHURCH AND CHURCHYARD

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 19/08/2019 18:21