There are no additional online documents for this record.
- Date Added
- Local Authority
- Planning Authority
- National Park
- NO 43705 80565
- 343705, 780565
Wardrop and Brown (see Notes), 1852 with later 19th century additions, probably by same architect. Predominantly 2-storey and basement with some lower single storey and attic sections. Roughly h-plan, multi-gabled, picturesque shooting lodge on sloping site with conical-roofed tower (lower part obscured by later addition), deep bracketed eaves, gabled dormers and canted bay windows flanking balcony-verandah to principal block. Squared, coursed granite with polished granite ashlar dressings. Band course above basement to S elevation of principal block only. Long and short quoins. Slightly irregular fenestration, mostly arranged in bays, generally with larger windows to ground and smaller windows above.
FURTHER DETAILS: roughly rectangular plan of interconnecting gabled blocks, with long, stepped principal elevation facing S, and entrance to N; later U-plan service courtyard at W end, the head range of which also forms 2-sided entrance courtyard. 3-bay principal block advanced at right end of S elevation with 2-storey canted bay windows corbelled out to form gables at top floor to outer bays, and central bay with roofed balcony at principal floor and gabled 2-light window to attic; 10 sandstone steps to centre of balcony. Roughly 5-bay stepped elevation with 2 advanced gables to left of main block; later 2-bay wing recessed to right with bipartite window to ground, 2 gabled dormers to attic and canted bay window corbelled out to form gable at E elevation. Conical-roofed turret rising from behind NE corner of principal block with machicolated eaves course and narrow windows. Roughly 9-bay stepped N elevation with 3 forward-facing gables, gabled dormers breaking eaves and advanced lower service wing to outer right with 2 dormers. Timber-panelled front door in gabled timber porch to left; advanced chimney stack to outer left; regularly-fenestrated timber lean-to corridor at ground to service sections (right). Multi-gabled U-plan service courtyard at W elevation with enclosing wall and 2-leaf timber-boarded gates to W.
Timber sash and case windows with mixture of lying-pane glazing (original glazing pattern) 4-pane glazing and plate glass. Coped chimney stacks with yellow clay cans. Ball and spike finials to most gables and dormers. Graded Scottish slate. Cast-iron rainwater goods.
INTERIOR: half-glazed timber-panelled door to entrance lobby. Entrance hall with timber chimneypiece and cast-iron grate. Circular cloak-room off hall (base of turret). Timber staircase with octagonal timber newel and cast-iron barley-twist balusters. Timber-boarded panelling to dining room with decorative timber chimneypiece. Butler's pantry with cupboards. High-ceilinged kitchen with some old shelves. Timber panelled interior doors, fairly plain cornicing and timber shutters throughout; timber chimneypieces with cast-iron grates to most principal rooms and bedrooms.
Statement of Special Interest
A large, well-designed shooting lodge situated prominently in a picturesque position near to Invermark Castle and Loch Lee. The house has been very little altered since the construction of the late 19th century additions, and was designed by the Edinburgh-based firm of architects, Wardrop and Brown for the Earl of Dalhousie in 1852.
The firm Wardrop and Brown was established in 1849 when Thomas Brown II, architect to the Prison Board of Scotland, went into partnership with his former assistant James Maitland Wardrop. Their practice was extremely prolific and largely concentrated on country house commissions, although they also built a number of churches, schools, courthouses and prisons. By the 1860s they had established themselves as serious rivals to David Bryce, who was the leading country house architect of the period.
Invermark Lodge was formerly attributed to David Bryce, apparently on the strength of the list of his works given in his obituary in The Builder, which mentions a house called Glenesk, built in 1847. Invermark Lodge is situated at the head of Glen Esk, but never appears to have been called Glenesk. The plans for the house, in the University Edinburgh Archive, are not signed by the architect, but the address, 19 St Andrew Square and the date, 18th December 1852, are marked clearly at the bottom of each drawing. In 1852 the only architects operating from that address were the firm Wardrop and Brown; David Bryce's office was at 131 George Street. There therefore can be little doubt that this is the work of Wardrop and Brown and not David Bryce. J M Wardrop is believed to have worked as Bryce's assistant for a short period in the 1840s, and his style for domestic buildings was strongly influenced by Bryce.
Invermark lodge was extended at some point before 1890 (when the photos in the NMRS were taken). The similarity of styles between the old and new sections suggest that the additions were made by the original architect, although no surviving plans have yet been discovered. The original part of the house consisted of the 3-bay main block on the S elevation, which contained the principal reception rooms and bedrooms, and the 3 bays to the W of it, which contained the service areas and gun room. The section to the E of the principal block is part of the later addition, and was built in front of the round turret, which originally stood at the NE corner of the house. The front door was originally located in the gable immediately to the right of the present front door. The service courtyard is also part of the later additions. (For internal use only: sketch copies of the Edinburgh University plans are with the Cairngorms National Park resurvey file, LKH 2005).
Wardrop and Brown plans at Edinburgh University (ref EC10, RA909), dated 18th December 1852. Post Office, EDINBURGH AND LEITH DIRECTORY, 1851-2 (for Wardrop and Brown address). Shown on 1st edition OS map (1862); additions shown on 2nd edition OS map (1900). Photos from George Washington Wilson Collection (circa 1890) at NMRS (ref AN3025 and AN 2797) (shows addition).
About Listed Buildings
Listing is the way that a building or structure of special architectural or historic interest is recognised by law through the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.
We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest using the criteria published in the Historic Environment Scotland Policy Statement.
The statutory listing address is the legal part of the listing. The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.
Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The planning authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historicenvironment.scot. Since 1 October 2015 we have been able to exclude items from a listing. If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.
If you want to alter, extend or demolish a listed building you need to contact your planning authority to see if you need listed building consent. The planning authority is the main point of contact for all applications for listed building consent.
Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot. You can contact us on 0131 668 8716 or at email@example.com.
There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to INVERMARK LODGE
There are no images available for this record.
Printed: 13/11/2018 16:12