Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.


Status: Designated


There are no additional online documents for this record.


Date Added
Local Authority
West Dunbartonshire
Planning Authority
West Dunbartonshire
National Park
Loch Lomond And The Trossachs
NS 38188 81758
238188, 681758


Circa 1775 with later 19th century additions. 2-storey over basement, 5-bay, rectangular-plan main block; with large 3-storey, 5-bay later 19th century addition at right angles to S. Stucco over rubble; raised ashlar margins; rusticated quoins; eaves cornice.

E ELEVATION: 5 bays symmetrically disposed. pedimented bays at centre; broad stair to door at centre; wrought-iron handrails. 2-leaf, 4-panelled door with Gibbsian surround; pediment; modern light attached to keystone; flanking symmetrical bays; window at centre 1st floor above door with lugged surround and fluted keystone. Pediment supported on shallow console brackets; blind bulls-eye window at centre; urn finials. Barred windows at basement.

N ELEVATION: broad gable, windows at ground, 1st floor to outer left; barred window at centre basement; window slightly off-centre to right at 1st floor; small window off-centre to left at attic; broad apex stack. Later wing recessed to outer right, pedimented dormerheads breaking eaves at attic; 2- bay block recessed to outer right, chamfered corner; tripartite mini-gabled dormer.

S ELEVATION: later 19th century 2-storey, 5-bay block. Pedimented centre bay slightly advanced; full-height (ground to 2nd floor) canted window; 2nd floor window with segmental pediment; stone balustrade balcony. Flanking bays, eaves band cornice dividing ground, 1st floor from attic; pedimented dormerheads breaking eaves at attic storey.

W ELEVATION: eaves cornice string course at attic; armorial plaque at centre; coped wallhead stack at centre.

12-pane timber sash and case windows; 4-pane timber sash and case windows. Grey slate gabled roof to main house; lead flashings; grey slate piend and platform roof for later house; broad, coped wallhead stacks; 2-pane rooflights.

INTERIOR: not seen 1995. Original shutters.

GAZEBO: small octagonal timber gazebo. Chevron joinery; pagoda style roof; gablets breaking eaves to alternate facets. Door on S elevation, gablet over with trefoil louvred ventilation; broad window to left. Terracotta fishscale tiles; broad terracotta ridge tiles; terracotta finialled cap; gablets with finials.

INTERIOR: boarded seating along each side; chevron timber floor.

Statement of Special Interest

The land was settled on James Lindsay and his wife Sarah Brisbane Lindsay in 1670, and a house stood on the site at this time. The property was called Stuckrodger at this time. In 1774 Stuckrodger was acquired by Charles Scott of Dalquhurn, a Glasgow merchant and it appears that the house as it now appears dates from this time. The house name was changed to Woodbank. In 1885 William Ewing-Gilmour of Croftenga was the occupant of the house and it is likely that the later additions date from his occcpancy, the coat of arms on the W wall is the same as that on the Masonic Hall in Alexandria. The house bcame a hotel in the 1930s, and beame the Hamilton House Hotel in the 1980s. The house was featured in Scottish Civic Trust BUILDINGS AT RISK (1994). The former stables and garage buildings are in poor condition to the E.



F A Walker and F Sinclair NORTH CLYDE ESTUARY (1992) 51. Typescript notes from present owner. THE LENNOX HERALD. THE SCOTTISH FIELD, September 1964.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at


There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to WOODBANK HOUSE WITH GARDEN BUILDING

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 16/06/2019 10:15