Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.


Status: Designated


There are no additional online documents for this record.


Date Added
Supplementary Information Updated
Local Authority
Planning Authority
NT 42865 61564
342865, 661564


Late 18th century. 1?-storey rectangular-plan house with smaller gabled extension to side, on sloping site. Coursed rubble, tooled ashlar rybats. Long and short quoins.

N ELEVATION: 1?-storey, regular fenestration to left, blind wall to right: 4-bay to ground floor; 3-bay to ? storey, comprising 2 stone dormers to left, squared surrounds and flat pediments, catslide roof, zinc flashing; window above far right hand ground floor window; skew gabled, short stone stack, projecting neck copes,

E ELEVATION: adjoining lower house next door.

S (REAR) ELEVATION: not seen, 2000.

W ELEVATION: blind gable, smaller skew gabled extension with entrance door; adjoining rubble garden wall with wrought-iron gate.

Replacement 6-pane casement windows with top 2 lights hinged to open inward to most; 6-pane sash and case to front ? storey. Pantiled roof to main building and extension, with modern ventilation pipe to front; catslide roof to dormers; triple replacement cans with ventilation flues to left stack, 2 replacement cans on similar chimney to right gable. Replacement cast-iron rainwater goods.

INTERIOR: not seen, 2000.

Statement of Special Interest

This house is said to have been named after the Dam from which the village takes it name. It is speculated the dam was situated at the foot of the house's garden on the Cakemuir Burn, although no trace of it exists now. At its height, Fala Dam had 21 households although now there are only 10.



J Hunter, FALA AND SOUTRA (1891) p.19; Rev. J Dickson CRICHTOUN: PAST AND PRESENT. THE STORY OF A PARISH (1911) for general references on Fala Dam; Daniel and Jean Blades, FALA AND SOUTRA - PAST AND PRESENT (1995) pp54-59.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at


There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 8 FALA DAM, THE DAM HOUSE

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 27/02/2020 23:09