Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

DUNKELD AND BIRNAM STATION INCLUDING FOOTBRIDGELB11139

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
A
Group Category Details
100000020 - See Notes
Date Added
05/10/1971
Local Authority
Perth And Kinross
Planning Authority
Perth And Kinross
Parish
Little Dunkeld
NGR
NO 3084 41676
Coordinates
303084, 741676

Description

Andrew Heiton, Junior, 1856. Single-storey, 7-bay, near-symmetrical, multi-gabled railway station. Squared and snecked whinstone rubble with sandstone dressings. Open, central porch with pointed arch to front and shouldered arches to sides. Advanced gables flanking with stone mullioned tri-partite glazing. Decorative barge-boards and pendant timber eaves. Tall octagonal and square-cut ridge stacks. Slate roof.

Single storey addition to SE. Roughly 12-bay awning to platform elevation, supported by wall-hung cast-iron brackets with decorative spandrels.

FOOTBRIDGE: (Map Ref: NO 03107 41646): steel and cast-iron lattice-girder footbridge of standard Highland Railway design.

Statement of Special Interest

Dunkeld and Birnam Station is an outstanding and well-detailed example of Scottish railway architecture by renowned architect, Andrew Heiton Junior. The villages of Birnam and Dunkeld are an outstanding example of an early to mid 19th century Highland resort in a setting of great natural beauty and the design of the station buildings reflects their resort status. The villages were largely developed following the opening of the railway between 1856 and 1863.

The Perth & Dunkeld Railway obtained its Act of Parliament on 10 July 1854 for a line between Stanley Junction and Birnam. Dunkeld (originally Birnam) Station was opened on 7 April 1856 and was a terminus until the line was extended to Pitlochry seven years later. The station was first served by the Scottish Midland Railway and then the Scottish North Eastern Railway before becoming part of the Highland Railway.

A 1919 signal box (see separate listing) by the Highland Railway Company, is located to the east and is intervisible with the station adding contextual and group interest. There is one other listed example of this design of signal box, on the preserved Strathspey Railway at Boat of Garten (see separate listing).

List description revised as part of Scottish Signal Box Review (2012-13).

References

Bibliography

John Hume, Industrial Archaeology, Vol I (1976) p96. Groome's Gazeteer (2nd ed), Vol II, p391.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to DUNKELD AND BIRNAM STATION INCLUDING FOOTBRIDGE

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 23/07/2019 10:01