Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

MEGGINCH CASTLE, NORTH LODGES AND GATEPIERSLB10969

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
A
Date Added
05/10/1971
Supplementary Information Updated
21/09/2001
Local Authority
Perth And Kinross
Planning Authority
Perth And Kinross
Parish
Errol
NGR
NO 23481 24936
Coordinates
323481, 724936

Description

1794, extended 1933; gatepiers moved later 20th century. Pair of single storey, 3-bay gothic lodge houses with crenellated screen walls. Rubble with ashlar dressings. Ogee-headed windows. Hoodmoulds; stone mullions and chamfered reveals.

NW (ROAD) ELEVATIONS: centre carriage entrance with engaged trefoil-section columns flanked by screen walls each with ogee-headed bipartite window below blind quatrefoil panel, lower screenwalls beyond with small gunloops terminating with small octagonal ashlar piers and low saddleback-coped quadrants.

SE ELEVATIONS: as NW elevations but without lower screenwall extensions; cottage to left with door and window in lower later bays to outer left; cottage to right with door in set-back lean-to bay at outer right.

DRIVEWAY ELEVATIONS: each with boarded timber door below consoled stone canopy to outer bay and small deep-set bipartite to inner bay.

6-pane glazing pattern in casement windows and 10-pane glazing pattern in top-opening windows, all timber. Grey slates. Coped harled stacks, some cans.

GATEPIERS: slender quatrefoil-section gothic piers with large cornice and tall spired finials.

Statement of Special Interest

Built for Robert Drummond. Formerly with 2-leaf wrought-iron gates and outer pedestrian gates, the gatepiers have been moved into the driveway and closer to the cottages. The westernmost lodge is approximately one metre wider. Megginch Castle estate includes Chapel, Gothic Arch, Icehouse, Kennels Cottage, Kingdom Farmhouse, Stables (with Dovecot), Walled Gardens, Wardheads and West Lodge all listed separately.

References

Bibliography

Information courtesy of Baroness Strange.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to MEGGINCH CASTLE, NORTH LODGES AND GATEPIERS

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 24/08/2019 19:20