Dated 1785, with early 19th century wing. 2-storey and attic, 3-bay farmhouse with single storey wings to rear and adjoining garden walls. Small dark red clay bricks (no discernible bond pattern) with yellowish lime mortar on rubble base with stone dressings at openings and at eaves; later wing rubble. Eaves cornice. Brick relieving arches.
SE (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: symmetrical. Panelled timber door with 3-pane fanlight to centre, windows in flanking bays, regular fenestration close to eaves at 1st floor.
SW ELEVATION: gabled elevation with window to right at each floor including attic.
NW (REAR) ELEVATION: single storey wings, gabled rubble to right and piended brick to left, stair window to centre flanked by small 1st floor windows and variety of out-of-character modern rooflights. Lean-to bay to outer left with window slapping.
NE ELEVATION: small attic window to left in gablehead; single storey and loft lean-to bay adjoining at right.
12-pane glazing pattern in timber sash and case windows with plate glass glazing to some rear windows. Grey slates. Coped brick stacks with thackstanes and cans; ashlar-coped skews. Modern rooflights to rear.
INTERIOR: not seen 2000.
GARDEN WALLS: brick coped, dark red clay brick garden walls adjoining rubble wall to S. Square stone to E wall inscribed with initials 'AC MC' and date '1785'.
Statement of Special Interest
Flatfield steading is listed separately. Flatfield is one of a number of late 18th century farmhouses in the parish built from bricks made on site in a clamp-kiln, the clay-hole for Flatfield is thought to be situated to the SE. Together with the slightly later 'Kingdom' the experimental nature of construction is evidenced in the "24" and 22" thick solid brick-work on ground and first floors respectively" (Omand). Built for the Clark family, the house and steading form "one of the most remarkable farm groups to be seen anywhere in Scotland". In 1977 the woodwork was "almost wholly original with the usual 12 pane window divide at all but the 2 small attic openings", and the interior finishings were "of a simple but good fielded pattern: double-leafed cupboard doors in the ground floor east room and a scheme of small closet, box bed (with folding double doors which retain their original draw-bolts on the inside) and larger closet extending under the stair along the north wall of the ground floor west room, a niche with a cupboard in its lower half in the first floor west room and a pair of corresponding cupboards in the gable wall of the east room". A mid-Victorian wash hand basin from the NW wing has been removed to Perth museum.