Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

BONHILL PARISH CHURCH WITH BOUNDARY WALL AND GRAVEYARDLB1095

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
14/05/1971
Local Authority
West Dunbartonshire
Planning Authority
West Dunbartonshire
Parish
Bonhill
NGR
NS 39489 79625
Coordinates
239489, 679625

Description

1836 with some modern additions and alterations. Tudor-gothic hall church with and tower, rectangular-plan church. Coursed pink sandstone ashlar with ashlar margins and dressings. Deep base course; hoodmoulds; string course; clasping buttresses; eaves moulding; chamfered reveals.

E (MAIN) ELEVATION: integral/engaged 3-stage battlemented tower; 3-centred-arch door at centre at ground, roll-moulded surround; hoodmould; 2-light Y-tracery window above; clock set in lozenge at string course dividing 2nd, 3rd stage; 3-light window at upper stage; colonetted quoins at upper 2 stages; battlemented parapet; octagonal pinnacles. Flanking buttressed bay; 2-light tall Y-traceried windows; clasping buttresses.

N ELEVATION: 3-bay chancel with 4th narrow bay to outer left; 2-light Y-tracery windows.

S ELEVATION: 4 bays as other elevation; modern addition at centre; full-height piend-roofed, chamfered corners; rendered with reconstituted stone dressing; pointed arch door on return; lancets.

W ELEVATION: broad gable; formerly 3 lancets; later gabled red brick bay advanced at centre; sandstone quatrefoil at centre of gablehead; 1930s flat-roofed vestry block at groun; rendered, cement margins.

INTERIOR: interior much altered, church made smaller by creation of additional offices and meeting rooms. Main entrance no longer serves church. Some original church furniture, communion table Misses Dennistoun Brown, Mrs Stevenson, October 1915; new gallery. Stained glass in church to Alexander James Dennistoun Brown of Balloch, 1885; Alexander Smollett of Bonhill, 1881. Stained glass on stair to hall, Rachel Sword Kippen and William James Kippen of Westerton and Busby by Robert Milligan of Glasgow. 1940s glass to McAllister family Woodburn and graveyard: number of interesting grave memorials, inlcuding engraved slab stone to covenanter Robert Nairn, died 1685, to S side of church. Particularly interesting are burial enclosures against S boundary wall. These include THE ARTHURS OF LEVENBANK MAUSOLEUM: 1797. Pink sandstone ashlar. Classical. Pedimented with fluted pilasters. Roofless.

TURNBULL MAUSOLEUM: stugged sandstone ashlar, segmental-headed door, blocking course; ashlar triangular section pillars. Angel sclupture. Roofless, remains of acroteria within.

BUCHANAN OF ARDOCH MAUSOLEUM: 1808, Classical, segmental-headed doorway, triangular pediment above; inscribed plaque within.

Venetian Gothic gabled burial enclosure along E boundary wall.

BOUNDARY WALL AND GATEPIERS: low stugged red sandstone rubble wall with harl-pointing; semicircular coping.

Statement of Special Interest

Ecclesiastical building partly in use as such. The church is designed along a William Burn formula. The interior of the church has been substantially altered with the church proper much reduced and the remaining rooms used as meeting rooms.

References

Bibliography

G Hay ARCHITECTURE OF THE SCOTTISH POST REFORMATION CHURCHES p254. Iain Galbraith BY THE RIVERS OF WATER - POTRAIT OF BONHILL PARISH (1989). 3rd STATISTICAL ACCOUNT p187.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to BONHILL PARISH CHURCH WITH BOUNDARY WALL AND GRAVEYARD

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 16/08/2022 23:20