Circa 1760, 2-storey and sunk basement, 3-bay villa,
with entrance bay projected later 18th century; further
alterations, circa 1820, and 2-bay extension to W, circa
1860. Biscuit coloured harling; ashlar dressings with
droved bands to quoins and ground floor windows to N;
cill course, moulded cornice and blocking course;
cornices and moulded cills to some ground floor windows;
scrolled brackets to 1st floor windows to N.
18TH CENTURY VILLA:
N ELEVATION: pedimented entrance bay advanced with
banded architrave to pedimented door at centre, keystone
and pulvinated frieze; carved and painted armorial in
pediment; 2-leaf panelled door and decorative fanlight;
1st floor window cill resting on pediment below.
Pediment above proud of eaves line with moulded cornice;
parapet to return elevations. Outer bays grouped close
by re-entrant angle at each floor.
S ELEVATION: regular fenestration to each 3 bays with
door at centre to sunk basement; moulded cills and
aprons to ground floor windows; 1st floor windows
lengthened circa 1820, and given diminutive cast-iron
balconies, resting on cornices of windows below.
E ELEVATION: wallhead stack in gabled bay with attic
CIRCA 1860 EXTENSION: 2 advanced bays to N and S
elevations; regular fenestration to each bay to N, with
windows blinded at ground and 2nd floor. Modern
conservatory addition at basement level to S elevation,
tall windows to ground floor with simpler wrought-iron
balconies, and 2 1st floor windows. W elevation blank.
Small-pane glazing pattern in sash and case windows.
Grey slate piend roofs; roof above 18th century villa
set upon blocking course with attic skylights. Ashlar
INTERIOR- largely altered.
TERRACE AND RETAINING WALLS AND GATEPIERS: sandstone
rubble walls, ashlar coped, to terrace on ground falling
to S, with several pairs of decorative stone urns, and
to roadside; 1 quadrant wall by N entrance. Painted
ashlar gatepiers with dentil cornices and ball
finials. Cast-iron seat on rubble wall by gates, and
substantial timber gates. Sandstone rubble garden walls.
Wrought-iron railings to basement recess at N elevation;
Statement of Special Interest
The Title Deeds show the property to be built by
Alexander Ainslie, a Leith merchant, from 1760. The
later 18th century enlargements were made by Sir Philip
Ainslie of Pilton, who exchanged the original name,
Acorn Lodge, for Oak Lodge, and placed his coat-of-
arms above the entrance.
Manor House to SE, no doubt prompted the manner of
advancing the entrance bay and raising the pediment
above the eaves line. A regrettable bathroom block
addition in the NE re-entrant angle, was removed circa
1982. A round-arched door leads under the paved court,
by stone steps to E side of villa.