Late 18th century, 2-storey 3-bay house, linked in 19th
century to narrow, early 19th century building (former
stable and hayloft?) at rear, forming U-plan
arrangement, and abacking Roseville to N, to which it
was formerly adjoined; later additions and alterations.
Orange painted harl with painted ashlar dressings;
base and cill course.
S BLOCK: openings set in slightly recessed panels;
deep-set door at centre with panelled door and radial
fanlight; windows in flanking bays and to each bay at
1st floor. Low, narrow service door to outer left
leading to Roseville. Ashlar coped screen wall to outer
right, shielding piend roofed single storey addition
to E and N elevations, with window to S. 1st floor
window to E.
12-pane glazing pattern in sash and case windows.
Ashlar coped skew; end stacks; grey slates to main
house; red pantiles to later additions and building at
rear; red tiles to garden block.
GARDEN WALLS AND GATE: rubble coped rubble walls raised
in brick at intervals, and with gateway inscribed
"GARDEN"; decorative wrought-iron gate.
Statement of Special Interest
In 1815, Thomas Scott, builder, of Musselburgh bought
the property, and was probably responsible for the
alterations prior to his death in 1819. The property
may well have served as an Inn in the earlier to mid
19th century, as the inscription above the garden gate
suggests. Lean-to garage adjoined to gable end of 33
Inveresk Village (Byways Cottage) to E.