Circa 1860. 2-storey 3-bay house with Tudor details.
Rubble sandstone with cement pointing, ashlar dressings;
side elevations harled. Chamfered reveals; hoodmoulds to
ground floor openings; 1st floor windows breaking eaves
in gabled dormerheads.
SE ELEVATION: centre bay slightly advanced, with doorway
and 1st floor window; small-pane fanlight. Single
windows to each floor of flanking bay to left. Concrete
mullioned bipartite inserted at ground to right, and
single window above.
NW ELEVATION: stone gabled porch projecting at centre
with rounded hoodmould and blank shield panel at apex.
1st floor window above and windows to each floor in
4-pane glazing pattern to sash and case windows. Gablet
coping to skews and bracketted skewputts. Harled end
stacks; grey slates.
Statement of Special Interest
The earlier U-plan farm court, to N, is listed
separately. The properties were sited to W of Smeaton
House, in the parklands of the Dalkeith estate. The
obtrusive guttering on SE elevation of house could
easily be improved.