Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

FORMER GARDENER'S COTTAGE, EDENHALL HOSPITAL, EDENHALL ROAD, PINKIE, MUSSELBURGHLB10879

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
C
Date Added
27/11/1990
Local Authority
East Lothian
Planning Authority
East Lothian
Parish
Inveresk
NGR
NT 35252 71920
Coordinates
335252, 671920

Description

George Washington Browne, later 19th century with possible earlier 19th century fabric. Single storey and attic 3-bay cottage with steeply pitched roof with crowstepped and beaked skews and later single storey brick lean to to each gable, stepped ashlar coped walls enclosing that to E. Single stone dormers to each pitch and offset first floor windows to gables. Panelled and glazed door, 12 pane sash and case windows (boarded up 2014). Large lean to greenhouse enclosing rear elevation. Grey slates and terracotta ridge tiles with gable stacks (that to east projecting).

Interior: Not seen 2014.

Statement of Special Interest

The former gardener's cottage at Edenhall Hospital was designed as the gardener's cottage when the building was in private ownership as Pinkieburn House and is in the same architectural style as the modifications carried out to the house from 1894-99 by architects George Washington Browne (1853-1939) and John More Dick Peddie (1853-1921). The cottage is a high quality Scottish vernacular design for a simple ancillary building of the time and has fine detailing particularly to the roofline. The cottage also makes a strong contribution to the character of the group of buildings on this multi-phase site.

Pinkieburn House was built in 1826 as the home of the Lindsay family. It became the first Manse for the minister Rev John Watson of the Congregational Union of Scotland when he married the daughter of the Lindsay family, who were strong supporters of the church.

In 1915 the last member of the Lindsay family died and Pinkieburn House was gifted to the Scottish Branch of the British Red Cross. Local Edinburgh firm James Jerdan and Son carried out extensions in 1918-1920 for conversion to hospital use and in 1921 the building was opened as a hospital for disabled ex-servicemen known as the 'Edenhall Hospital for Limbless Sailors'. The later V-shape extension linked to the west gable of the main block is described as built in a document of 1918 and the additional detached blocks to the SE of the site are thought to date to a development phase around 1953 when the administration of the Hospital was handed over to the Secretary of State for Scotland.

The site ceased use as a National Health Service hospital facility in 2013. Listed building record updated 2014.

References

Bibliography

1st Edition Ordnance Survey Map (1852).

Dictionary of Scottish Architects (www.scottisharchitects.org.uk).

Drawings in the NMRS in Dick Peddie McKay Collection- DPM 1890/79/1.

Academy Architecture (1894) p72, and (1899 part 2) p116 (not seen).

RSA (1894) 524, RSA (1920) 714 (not seen).

H Richardson, Hospitals Study.

http://www.edinburghs-war.ed.ac.uk/war-hospitals/edenhall-hospital

[Accessed 01.05.14]

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to FORMER GARDENER'S COTTAGE, EDENHALL HOSPITAL, EDENHALL ROAD, PINKIE, MUSSELBURGH

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 25/06/2019 11:31