Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

CARBERRY HOUSELB10867

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
27/11/1990
Local Authority
East Lothian
Planning Authority
East Lothian
Parish
Inveresk
NGR
NT 36671 69951
Coordinates
336671, 669951

Description

1909. 2-storey, H-plan house, with single storey porches

filling re-entrant angles, and with Tudor details.

Harled with cream sandstone ashlar dressings. Applied

timber-framing to jettied gableheads; principal

gableheads canopied on swept cavetto corbel courses.

Stone mullions.

S ELEVATION: lean-to porch in centre recess, comprised

of original section to right with bipartite window, and

modern in-fill to left of timber boarding, doorway and

window. 2 windows to 1st storey behind, under gabled

dormerhead. 2-storey gabled bays advanced to outer

right with rectangular, 6-light, piend-roofed window

projecting at ground, and 2 bipartites at 1st floor.

Mirrored bays to outer left with tirpartite and single

window at both ground and 1st floors.

N ELEVATION: flat-roofed porch set in re-entrant angle

at centre, with dormerhead to single 1st floor window

above; gabled outer bay to right with window at ground

and doorway at 1st floor with cast-iron forestair; outer

bay to left with doorway and window at ground and 2 1st

floor windows.

E AND W ELEVATIONS: each 3-bay, with canopied, applied

timber-framed gablehead to centre bay. W elevation with

single windows at ground and 1st floor to centre and

outer right bays, and bipartite to outer left. E

elevation with modern addition at ground to outer right,

and 1st floor window above; forestair to 1st floor

doorway at centre, with window below; window to each

floor in outer left bay.

Multi-pane glazing pattern to sash and case windows.

grey-green slates; overhanging eaves with timber

brackets and bargeboarding. Ashlar margined, harled

stacks with original cans retained. Decorative

gutterheads, dated 1910.

Statement of Special Interest

Apparently built to house the gardeners of the Carberry

estate. Currently serving as home for the elderly. Given

over to Church of Scotland by Lord Elphinstone in 1960s.

Style employed echoes that used frequently for Edwardian

villa designs, particularly by Edinburgh architects. It

is possible by Frederick MacGibbon (the son of David

MacGibbon, Thomas Ross's partner, the latter having

worked at Carberry Tower).

References

Bibliography

No Bibliography entries for this designation

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to CARBERRY HOUSE

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 20/06/2019 10:17