Early 19th century, 2-storey and basement, 3-bay
farmhouse. Coursed and tooled, large blocks of grey
sandstone ashlar to E elevation, band course and cavetto
cornice; rubble sides and rear; ashlar dressings
E ELEVATION: stone steps oversailing basement recess to
door at centre, currently bricked below and with
regrettable modern porch; position of original deep-set
door evident above, with fanlight; 1st floor window.
Basement windows in outer bays and to each floor above.
N AND S ELEVATIONS: ground floor window to left of N
elevation, and windows to ground and 1st floors of S
elevation at centre; blocked round-headed attic
windows at apex to both elevations, and former gutter
Regular fenestration at rear.
12-pane glazing pattern to sash and case windows.
Borad end stacks; ashlar coped skews. Modern titles.
GARDEN WALLS: substantial rubble garden walls to W,
harl-pointed, almost certainly pre-dating present
Statement of Special Interest
The farmhouse is listed C(S) for its classical details,
prominent position and the reversible nature of
the unfortunate porch and modern roofing material.
Barbachlaw Steading lies to N, dignified by pedimented
bays closing N and S ranges to E, and the segmental
lintels to openings; it is not included in current
listings as it lacks sufficient cohesive merit as a
steading or individual importance in any component. The
Battle of Pinkie was fought on the fields to SW of
Barbachlaw in 1547.