Later 19th century. Paper mill building comprised of 2-storey, rectangular-plan, 23-bay, double-pile range with massive tower to W. Stugged and snecked rubble, stugged ashlar dressings, random rubble to S bay with brick gable to W, polished ashlar corbels and parapet to tower. Slate roof to S bay, sheet roof with full length ridge light to S bay. Tower: segmental stair tower to SW angle, corbelled from 1st floor, corbelled to square at upper part extending to flat-roofed cap house; deep, coped parapet with angle turrets (not roofed); roof masked by parapet.
TOWER: S AND E ELEVATIONS: blank.
W ELEVATION: 2 small windows to 1st floor at different levels;
3 round-headed windows to 2nd floor; 3 windows to stair tower,
2 further windows to upper part of tower and cap house.
N ELEVATION: blocked openings to ground floor; louvred opening above.
N ELEVATION: symmetrical; tall windows to ground floor, some blocked, smaller windows to 1st floor, new entrance off-centre right.
E GABLE: gable to right, blank except door to ground floor, coped skews with block skew end finial; wider gable to left with door.
S ELEVATION: blank.
INTERIOR: not seen.
Statement of Special Interest
This building is listed particularly for the interest of the tower. Bullionfield was established as a paper mill in 1850 by Alexander Cowan and Sons of Valleyfield, converting the existing bleachfield plant for the purpose. The mill was managed form 1862 by David M Watson, who from 1871 until his death in 1901 was proprietor. Watson?s Baronial mansion house, Greystane House (listed as Swallow Hotel, off Kingsway West; Longforgan Parish) was designed by Campbell Douglas in 1870, who may also have been responsible for the paper mill. The building is presently (1991) in use as a warehouse. There are further former paper mill buildings on the site to the north. Paper making ceased here in January 1965.