Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.


Status: Designated


There are no additional online documents for this record.


Date Added
Local Authority
East Lothian
Planning Authority
East Lothian
NT 49937 74509
349937, 674509


Circa 1790. Classical mansion, 5 bays, 3 storeys plus sunk basement. Symmetrical set-back pavilions, 2-storey and central kitchen block to rear. Porch added circa 1820, single storey W wing added circa 1830. Sandstone ashlar to main elevations.

MAIN HOUSE: 3 storeys, symmetrical, 5 bays to S (front) elevation, central bay advanced and pedimented. Base course of light-brown sandstone in rock-faced ashlar, ground floor of rusticated ashlar with flat-arched windows. Cill course at 1st floor level, 1st and 2nd floor in broached ashlar, rusticated quoins, architraved windows. 2nd floor foreshortened, cornice and eaves course to pediment.

Central porch with 2 pairs of Doric columns, backed by simple squared pilasters, plain flat-roofed entablature with frieze, cornice and blocking course. 5 stone steps to platt. Front door 2 leaf, in

6 flush panels, decorative fanlight. flanked symmetrically by narrow windows to hall, panelled and glazed inner door.

Side elevations with 2 bays, stonework as front. E elevation has small windows added at 1st and 2nd floor, sunk basement evident. W elevation has 1 window infilled at 1st floor. Rear elevation 5 bays, squared and coursed rubble with ashlar quoins and raised margins. Basement, foreshortened 2nd floor. Central bay with leaded stairwell windows, dummy window to 1st floor. Door to basement.

EAST WING: 2-storey, upper floor foreshortened. 3-sided symmetrical front elevation in broached grey sandstone ashlar, raised cills. Other elevations harled, 3 bays to sides and rear. W elevation with piended lean-to with door at ground, blind window to 1st. Rear elevation with 2 blind doorways to ground, central doorway converted to windows, 1 blind window to 1st floor.

WEST WING: similar to E wing, with later extension adjoining to front. At upper floor, 1 dummy window to front, 2 to rear, 1 to E. 3 symmetrical windows to rear elevation, piended lean-to with door to E and to 2 storey link with main house, 1 blind doorway. Single storey extension to front in smooth ashlar with base course, cill course, cornice and blocking course, 3 bays to front (S), bipartite low window to W, all windows with architrave.

CENTRAL REAR BLOCK: 2-storey, upper floor foreshortened. Gabled to N with simple pediment, piended to main house. Harled, ashlar margins. To W elevation, 2 windows to ground. 1 tripartite, 3 windows to 1st floor. N (gable) elevation with 2 windows, 1 dummy, to 1st floor only. E elevation with 3 windows to 1st floor, 1 dummy, plus small glazed oculus, lean-to against ground floor, with door.

Windows timber sash and case, 12-pane to main elevations, except 6-pane in foreshortened upper floors. W wing of 1830 has lying panes to S elevations, multi-paned to bow window.

Roofs piended, grey graded Scotch slates. 2 large ashlar stacks to main house each with cope and 8 plain cans, small stack to front pediment with single can. Other stacks ashlar, coped, with plain cans.

ICE HOUSE: to rear of Alderston House, semi-circular front (S) elevation with ashlar cope, single central door. Vaulted, grassed over.

Statement of Special Interest

Nearby Coach-House is listed separately. Nearby Walled Garden and Gardener's Cottage lie to W.



OS First Edition, Haddington, 1854. Groome, Vol I, p.39.

About Listed Buildings

Listing is the way that a building or structure of special architectural or historic interest is recognised by law through the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest using the criteria published in the Historic Environment Scotland Policy Statement.

The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing and if a number or name is missing from a listing address it may still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing can also cover structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The planning authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. Since 1 October 2015 we have been able to exclude items from a listing. If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.

If you want to alter, extend or demolish a listed building you need to contact your planning authority to see if you need listed building consent. The planning authority advises on the need for listed building consent and they also decide what a listing covers. The planning authority is the main point of contact for all applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at You can contact us on 0131 668 8716 or at


There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to ALDERSTON HOUSE, WITH ICEHOUSE

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 23/04/2019 07:04