There are no additional online documents for this record.
- Category: B
- Date Added: 05/02/1971
- Date Removed: 14/12/2015
- Local Authority: East Lothian
- Planning Authority: East Lothian
- Parish: Haddington
National Grid Reference
- NGR: NT 52861 76551
- Coordinates: 352861, 676551
Late 15th century. Apparently commenced as a prestigious fortified grange. Extensive remains comprising low structure with vaulted understorey within fortified exterior, arranged formally around courtyard. Rectangular plan, approx 160 ft (49 m) by 125 ft (38 m), walls now 14 ft (4.3 m) high maximum. Random rubble, mostly whinstone, quoins (where surviving) of dressed sandstone, window and gun loop margins (where surviving) dressing and tooled, with window grill-slots visible. Relieving arches over all openings.
Square towers project externally from 4 corners with vestiges of intermediate towers, between, 2 on NW elevation, 1 on SE, 1 on SW apparently original entrance to courtyard. Only 2 towers to NW retain vestige of second storey. Carved gunloops cover every angle of the exterior wall.
Statement of Special Interest
There is uncertainty about the story of this unusual structure, whose formal layout is apparently highly advanced for its date in Scotland. Martine states that it was commenced by Sir John Seton of Barnes to fortify the grange of "a religious establishment in time of anarchy" and, indeed, it still finds some use as a untidy agricultural store. John Seton died in 1494 (1594??) and evidence suggests that work ceased on his death and never proceeded beyond the basic level still visible. Scheduled Monument.
C McWilliam, LOTHIAN (1978), p 93. J Martine, REMINISCENCES AND NOTICES OF 14 PARISHES IN THE COUNTY OF HADDINGTON (1890), p 115. RCAHMS INVENTORY (1924), Item 71.