Probably early 17th century in origin, with substantial later additions and attention. Plain imposing quadrangular house round small internal courtyard, 3 storeys and 9 bays.
Substantially modified circa 1820, when pair of bows added to S elevation and laundry wing and coach house added adjoining to N. Repaired and restored late 1940s, laundry wing and coach house converted and considerably altered 1950s, (Mary Tindall, architect). Mostly random rubble harled and pointed, but harl pointed to W, and S-facing bows in ashlar.
W ELEVATION: 9 bays, quasi-symmetrical. All windows with raised ashlar margins, chamfered. Simple cornice. Central flat-roofed porch in harl pointed rubble with rusticated ashlar quoins and rybats in grey sandstone, base course, cornice and blocking course, relieving arches visible over lintels. Door 2-leaf, 6-panelled with bevelled top, single window to each side of porch.
S ELEVATION: 2 advanced bows in brown ashlar sandstone, each with
3 bays, conical roof, ball finial. Flanked by single bay with windows to E. Top (2nd) floor foreshortened throughout. Westmost bow has door in central bay to ground floor, 2-leafed, with 3 glazed panels above lower panel. All margins to bows in polished ashlar, raised cills.
E ELEVATION: 6 bays, asymmetrical. To ground floor, 6 small openings only, including 2 infilled and 2 slit windows. 1st floor includes 7th window, a later slapping with cement margins. Windows to 1st and 2nd floor in 2nd bay from S both dummies.
N ELEVATION: plain and unassuming, extensions adjoining to NW and wall adjoining to NE enclosing outer courtyard with drive leading N. 3 principal bays, 2 plain dormers with piended roofs. 2 doorways and
1 window to ground floor, later stairway leads to 1st floor door, plain boarded, flanked by recent bipartite window with horns and timber mullion; Modern car port added in timber and plastic sheeting.
INNER COURT: piended stair towers to 3 corners, originally also to SW. 2-storey lean-to on all sides encloses corridors (added 1820?). Doorway to S side. Various windows, irregular, on 3 floors, plus
2 gabled dormers to E elevation only.
GATEWAY: to outer courtyard in ashlar with pyramidal cap, gate removed, adjoins enclosure wall in random rubble with semi-circular cope and
2 plain boarded doors. Outer gateway to N in ashlar with hemi-spherical cap.
Most windows timber sash and case without horns, 12-pane except where noted and 6-pane to 2nd floor on S elevation. Piended roof in graded grey Scotch slate, bell-cast at eaves. 7 stacks on roof ridges, all harled with projecting cope, thackstanes and decorative octagonal cans.
GARDEN AND STATUARY: garden to S features decorative wrought-iron gates, 1950s, featuring double-headed eagles. 2 cast-iron lions border path, close to 3 stone statues of children on plinths, 1 boy bearing fruits, 1 girl bearing flowers, 1 boy reading book.