Originally 17th century laird's house, pavilions added circa 1735, extended to E late 18th century, altered circa 1800 and 1835, modernisations (Mary Tindall), 1970s.
3-storey mansion house, essentially 7-bay, with 2 flanking pavilions. 4 western bays represent original house, as altered, 3 eastern bays from late 18th century extension. Harled and white painted with exposed sandstone margins.
S (REAR) ELEVATION: 7-bay, regular. 4 western bays with door and
3 windows to ground, 4 windows (enlarged 19th century) to 1st and 2nd floor, latter breaking eaves in gabled dormerheads. 3 eastern bays with door (French-window style) and 2 windows to ground, 3 windows to 1st and 2nd.
N (FRONT) ELEVATION: western (older) section with 3 bays, including projecting gabled stair tower to E; 2 westmost bays regular, with
2 windows (enlarged late 18th century) to ground, 1st and 2nd, the last breaking eaves in gabled dormerheads; stairtower with 2 stair windows, topped by blind arrow slit in gable; small entrance porch (1835) in angle of return, ashlar, chamfered doorway with arch, 6-panelled door, bipartite window, moulded cornice. Eastern section (behind screen wall - see E pavilion below) irregular, windows on 3 levels, 2 stair towers, lean-to and small extensions; western stair tower piended, 2 stair windows plus tiny windows to ground; eastern stair tower gabled with single small window; lean-to with door, plain boarded, and single window.
Fenestration timber sash and case, mostly 12-pane, some enlarged to 15-pane at 1st floor. Roof in graded grey Scotch slates, skews crowstepped to western section (including dormerheads) and plain to E; 5 axial stacks, 3 to W harled with ashlar margins and projecting copes, 3 to E plain harled, plain cans.
GLASSHOUSE: large lean-to glasshouse adjoining main house to E, modern glazed entrance.
E PAVILION (THE COTTAGE): 2-storey, 3-bay, symmetrical. Harled with exposed margins, rusticated quoins, eaves course and cornice. W elevation (facing entrance drive) with 2 bipartite windows to ground (enlargements) flanking central blind window, 3 windows to 1st; N elevation with 2 windows to both floors; S elevation irregular with lean-to; E elevation with 3 windows to 1st, much altered to ground with modern extension, conservatory and doorway.
Linked to main house by quadrant screen wall; harled with ashlar cope and exposed margins; central doorway flanked by 2 round-arched niches (see mirror below).
Fenestration in timber sash and case, mostly 8-pane with horns (replacements?). Piended roof in graded grey Scotch slates, central stack harled with projecting cope and plain cans.
W PAVILION (LITTLE LETHAM): 2-storey, 3-bay, symmetrical. Harled with exposed margins, rusticated quoins, eaves course and cornice. E elevation (facing entrance drive) with 3 windows to both floors, central windows blind; N elevation with 2 windows to both floors,
1 blind to 1st floor; W elevation with 2 small windows to 1st floor,
2 small central windows to ground with round arch, keystone and impost blocks, flanked to S by recent doorway and to N by recent piended porch with door; S elevation irregular and including recent conservatory.
Linked to main house by quadrant screen wall detailed as above.
Fenestration predominantly timber sash and case, 8-pane with horns, but smaller windows with top opening etc. Piended roof in graded grey Scotch slate, central stack harled with projecting cope and plain cans.
GATEPIERS: circa 1735. Outer gates (map ref 494 737) with 2 sets of tall piers, rusticated with moulded cornices (ball finials missing?); each set linked by quadrant rubble wall, inner piers supported by scrolled buttresses. Inner gates similar but shorter, with ball finials and decorative wrought-iron gates.