Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

KEMBACK BEG, PRIESTS HOUSE AND GARDEN WALLSLB10799

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
20/06/1979
Local Authority
Fife
Planning Authority
Fife
Parish
Kemback
NGR
NO 41824 15149
Coordinates
341824, 715149

Description

17th or early 18th century, vernacular 2 storey, crowstepped building with single storey wings, slated roof, rubble and ashlar dressings, incorporating earlier work, ie doorway with key-blocked lintel and jamb-blocks with paterae. Outside stone stair to 1st floor level on the North side of the building. Extensive garden walls, that to the west of the main house has clairvoie with early 19th century cast iron railings, otherwise rubble with rough triangular cope. The wall ends against the Priest's House. Attached to the North East corner of Kemback Beg is a secondary wall with a slated out building and a former dovecote incorporated. This wall also ends against the Priest's House.

Statement of Special Interest

The Priest's House was the Manse until superceded by the present Kemback Beg. Alexander Edward, architect and Landscape Gardener was Minister of Kemback 1682-1689. B group with items 28, 29 and with item 30.

References

Bibliography

No Bibliography entries for this designation

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to KEMBACK BEG, PRIESTS HOUSE AND GARDEN WALLS

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 22/08/2019 00:27