Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

BANKNOCK, WYNDFORD LOCK, LOCK KEEPER'S COTTAGELB1075

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
30/06/1986
Local Authority
North Lanarkshire
Planning Authority
North Lanarkshire
Parish
Cumbernauld
NGR
NS 77593 78792
Coordinates
277593, 678792

Description

Circa 1770. 2-storey, 3-bay former lock keeper's cottage; 2 storeys to N (rear), single storey to S, facing canal. Squared rubble, ashlar dressings. Later 20th century, tall single-storey lean-to extension at ground floor E.

S (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: single storey, former entrance façade to canal tow-path at upper floor level. Central, gabled entrance bay; raised, chamfered door architrave. Windows to flanking bays with raised, chamfered margins; stone cills. Rectangular moulded cornice to eaves and gable.

W ELEVATION: window to 1st floor right.

N ELEVATION: 2 storeys. 3 bays at ground floor, central opening converted from doorway. Single openings to flanking bays. 2 narrow openings to 2nd bay, off-centre left and right; left opening shorter than right, possibly later. Raised, chamfered margins to all openings. Entrance through extension to E.

E ELEVATION: openings to ground floor right and 1st floor left. Extension to centre ground floor.

Statement of Special Interest

One of the best preserved examples of canal related housing along the Forth and Clyde canal, this cottage provided accommodation for the keeper of Wynford Lock, the 20th set of locks on the canal. Construction of the canal reached Wyndford around 1771, 3 years after it was started at Grangemouth. The accommodation was originally confined to the upper floor, with the lower floor used as stables for the horses that worked the canal. Lock 20 was used as a terminus for the pleasure steamers that became a popular attraction on the canal, but this terminus was later moved to the newly built stables at Glasgow Road, Kirkintilloch (see separate listing). It was also used as a station for the 'Swifts' passenger boats, and as a delivery point for goods going to and from the neighbouring Bankier Distillery (demolished 1990). Across the canal sits a small bothy used by the lock-keeper at work, and a building that was originally an Inn for canal workers (occasionally doubling as a stables). This has now been renovated into private housing. The cottage was in use until the mid-20th century, when the canal was closed and the cottage bricked up and de-roofed. It was renovated in the mid to late 1990s.

Wyndford Lock Keeper's cottage lies within the amenity zone for the Antonine Wall recommended in D N Skinner The Countryside of the Antonine Wall (1973), and which will form the basis of the buffer zone, yet to be defined, for the proposed Antonine Wall World Heritage Site.

References

Bibliography

1st edition ORDNANCE SURVEY map (1859-1860). A I Bowman, SWIFTS AND QUEENS (1984). P Carter, FORTH AND CLYDE CANAL GUIDEBOOK (2001). T J Dowds, THE FORTH AND CLYDE CANAL: A HISTORY (2003).

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to BANKNOCK, WYNDFORD LOCK, LOCK KEEPER'S COTTAGE

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 16/06/2019 10:00