Archibald Simpson, 1840 incorporating and re-casting
circa 1770 classical house which in turn had incorporated
17th century work. Mainly tooled ashlar with polished ashlar
dressings, some rubble revealed in ground floor and at rear.
S ELEVATION: 1840 Symmetrical 3-storey, 7-bay S front
with slightly advanced outer bays; centre ground floor
entrance scarred after removal of former columned
portico; centre and outer 1st floor windows with moulded
architraves; small 2nd floor windows; deep eaves band,
cornice and blocking course.
E ELEVATION: 2 3-storey return bays, remainder lowered to
2 storeys with centre advanced bowed bay.
W ELEVATION: former main front of circa 1770 mansion.
3 storeys, wide 5 bays with slightly advanced outer bays
delineated by rusticated quoins; centre 1st floor and
outer bays with pedimented windows with bracketted cills
and lugged architraves; deep cornice and blocking course
continued from S front (1840). 12-pane glazing in W
elevation windows, 8- and 10-pane casements in S front
Most stacks in batteries of 3 square flues linked by
corniced cope (1840) though later 19th century hipped
stack survives at N wallhead.
Single storey rear service range.
INTERIOR: later 18th century staircase in W side of house
and 1840 staircase in centre stairwell in centre of S front
reached through former entrance lobby. Both in poor
condition with no balustrades. Mansion gutted and little
survives except some later 18th century raised and
fielded window shutters and 1840 beaded panelled window
Statement of Special Interest
Glassaugh belonged to the Ogilvy (relatives of Seafield)
family in 16th century and passed to the Gordons of
Auchanassie. It was acquired by John Abercrombie, younger
brother of Sir Alexander Abercrombie of Birkenbog
(also Fordyce Parish) circa 1650 and remained in that family
until early 20th century. The mansion in its present form
was probably built by General James Abercrombie between
1759 (when he retired from the army) and his death in 1781
and extended and re-cast for Arthur Abercrombie in 1840.