Later 18th century. Single storey and loft, wide 5-bay stable
and carriage house range. Rubble, ashlar dressings.
Slightly advanced and gabled centre bay with large garage
entrance slapped in ground floor. Single round-headed
keystoned loft door with blocked imposts in centre of
gable flanked by loft vents and with apex corniced bellcote.
Doorway set in segmental recess in centre of outer bay at
left (N); similar segmental entrance to carriage house
in outer bay at right (S) single loft window above.
Forestair at S gable with rubble parapet and round-headed
recessed 'goose bay' in base, leads to loft entrance in S
gable; plank door with 18th century hand-made latch with
Later single storey gig house at N gable and low range of
additional stables at rear. Slate roof.
INTERIOR: 4-stalled stable accommodationl; only end
mural trevis (stall partition) survives with half round
end post and urn finial. 4 semi-circular ashlar lined
hay-hecks fronted by racks and with keystoned moulded arch;
these rise through wall to loft above where they terminate in
simple round-headed arches. Moulded plaster ceiling cornice
and centre roundel. Former harness/saddle/grooms' room
at left, carriage house at right.
Statement of Special Interest
Fine quality stables. Hay was dropped from loft through
semi-circular openings to feeding bays below.
Interior of stables similar to those at Gordon Castle,
1769-82, John Baxter, architect.
Goose bay below external forestair housed geese which
acted as 'watch dogs'. Unusual survival.