Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

FORDYCE VILLAGE, SCHOOL ROAD, ACADEMY HOUSE AND GARDEN WALLSLB10615

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
22/02/1972
Local Authority
Aberdeenshire
Planning Authority
Aberdeenshire
Parish
Fordyce
NGR
NJ 55606 63679
Coordinates
355606, 863679

Description

Later 18th century with 19th century additions and

alterations. 2-storey and attic, 3-bay house with later

wings at E and W gables. Harled, contrasting painted

margins, rubble gabled ends and rear. Centre entrance masked

by later 19th century single storey square porch and flanked

by later bipartites. Narrow 1st floor windows; 3 piended

wallhead dormers with decorative cast-iron finials. Single

storey and attic, 2-bay wing at E gable; upper windows

break wallhead as gabled dormers; W wing now as garage with

wide entrance; 2-pane glazing. Coped end stacks; slate

roof.

GARDEN WALLS: house and garden (including East Wing) enclosed

by high rubble garden walls.

Statement of Special Interest

Academy House, together with East wing (see entry below)

formerly Fordyce Academy established by George Smith

(1737-1790), a native of the village, for boys, preferably

named Smith, and administered by the George Smith Bounty from

1801. Amalgamated with new parish school opposite in 1882,

after which the building served as boarding house and later

as Headmaster's House until 1977; it then became 2

private houses.

References

Bibliography

NEW STATISTICAL ACCOUNT xiii (1842), p.186.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to FORDYCE VILLAGE, SCHOOL ROAD, ACADEMY HOUSE AND GARDEN WALLS

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 25/06/2019 17:07