Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

DURN HOUSE AND GATEPIERSLB10590

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
22/02/1972
Local Authority
Aberdeenshire
Planning Authority
Aberdeenshire
Parish
Fordyce
NGR
NJ 58816 65066
Coordinates
358816, 865066

Description

Later 18th century. 2-storey over raised basement, 5-bay

S facing classical house on earlier site. Ashlar frontage

and rear bowed bay, polished ashlar dressings, pinned rubble

elsewhere. Slightly advanced and pedimented centre 3 bays

fronted by later single storey projecting pedimented porch

approached by shallow splayed flight of steps. 3 closely

set 1st floor windows; blank square recess in tympanum.

Wide outer bays with Venetian window in raised ground

floor; deep band course between raised ground and 1st floor.

Pinned rubble flanks with raised basement entrance (W) and

later ground floor entrance (E) giving straight onto

stairwell. Centre projecting bowed bay at rear faced with

tooled granite ashlar and sandstone ashlar at raised ground

and 1st floors; pinned rubble elsewhere in rear elevation.

12-pane glazing. Piended platform slate roof with substantial

pair of ashlar faced corniced stacks.

Later single rear gable dormer.

INTERIOR: reset 1605 datestone in stairwall wall by doorway.

Entrance porch leads to large hall with centre plaster

ceiling rose with delicate foliated and flower design. No

other plaster work of note survives in house. Staircase

at right (E) with decorative cast-iron balusters to 1st

floor landing, plain stick balusters to attic. Raised

and fielded panelled doors.

Some contemporary style chimneypieces, but all appear

later replacements. Decorative cast-iron basket grate in

parlour, carved wooden chimneypiece in drawing room.

GATEPIERS: pair simple mid 19th century square gatepiers

with shaped pyramidal caps; pair spearhead cast-iron gates.

Statement of Special Interest

Home of the Menzies of Durn, who earlier built

Fordyce Castle (1592). Purchased by the Seafield Estate and

used until circa 1985 as the Factor's House.

References

Bibliography

No Bibliography entries for this designation

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to DURN HOUSE AND GATEPIERS

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 03/07/2022 09:44