Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.


Status: Designated


There are no additional online documents for this record.


Date Added
Local Authority
Planning Authority
NJ 82933 65806
382933, 865806


R G Wilson, architect, Aberdeen, dated 1897. 3-storey gabled, asymmetrical 3 and 4-bay house. Pink harled with extensive use of tooled grey granite ashlar dressings.

N entrance front with off-centre round-headed doorway set in stepped ashlar surround with carved initials, coat of arms and flanked by slender engaged columns with crocketted finials. Double-leaf panelled door; deep bullfaced granite base course. Large off-centre mullioned and transomed stair windows; 3 2nd floor bipartites set in gables; single large pended dormer with 3-light window.

S GARDEN FRONT: wide 3-bay ground floor with projecting crenellated canted multi-light windows at SW. Wide transomed and mullioned window under stepped lintel at SE in advanced and gabled bay tripartites in 1st and 2nd floors above. Large gabled dormer. Ground floor windows linked by stepped string course extending along W gable and linking bipartite and crenellated projecting ground floor window. Mainly single pane plate glass glazing though some mulit-pane glazing survives. Coped end and wallhead stacks; slate roofs. High walled service court extends from E gable, replacing former service wing demolished circa 1920.

INTERIOR: entrance lobby enters panelled stairhall; staircase with turned wooden balusters, panelled and ball finialled end balusters and moulded handrail. Panelled doors and moulded doorpieces.

DRAWING ROOM: corniced ceiling; original wooden chimneypiece with bracketted overmantel.

LIBRARY: original glass fronted bookcases.

DINING ROOM: now converted to kitchen/dining room.

Statement of Special Interest

Replaced former 18th century Troup House (circa 1770) sited slightly to NE (demolished). Doorpiece initialled R A G and IMBC for Mr and Mrs Garden of Troup, the builders of the house.



BANFFSHIRE JOURNAL, 8 May 1898 pp. 5-6; description and illustration of house. R B Pratt, BUCHAN (1858, revised 1901), pp. 321-3.

About Listed Buildings

Listing is the way that a building or structure of special architectural or historic interest is recognised by law through the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest using the criteria published in the Historic Environment Scotland Policy Statement.

The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing and if a number or name is missing from a listing address it may still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing can also cover structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The planning authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. Since 1 October 2015 we have been able to exclude items from a listing. If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.

If you want to alter, extend or demolish a listed building you need to contact your planning authority to see if you need listed building consent. The planning authority advises on the need for listed building consent and they also decide what a listing covers. The planning authority is the main point of contact for all applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at You can contact us on 0131 668 8716 or at


There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to TROUP HOUSE

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 24/03/2019 12:59