Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site


Status: Designated


There are no additional online documents for this record.


Date Added
Local Authority
Scottish Borders
Planning Authority
Scottish Borders
NT 76981 49203
376981, 649203


Dated 1641; rebuilt 1843. Single span, round-arched bridge spanning Blackadder Water. Harl-pointed sandstone rubble; polished sandstone dressings; polished and chamfered coping. Outer elevations comprising central arches with raised voussoir surrounds; sandstone corbels beneath surmounting parapets; continuous string courses; carved and dated sandstone plaque to N. Splayed approach wall to NW; remaining walls stepped out either end. Squat, coursed sandstone, square-plan terminating piers; shallow pyramidal caps.

Statement of Special Interest

An impressive structure which still forms part of one of the main roads into and out of Fogo village centre. In 1798, the bridge was recorded as "...the only one in the parish" (STATISTICAL ACCOUNT). The near square-plan sandstone plaque centred in the N parapet is split into 3 - the upper section inscribed with the date '1641' and the initials ?IC MD?. These initials are those of James Cockburn of Chouslie and his wife Marion Douglas, parents of Sir James Cockburn of Ryslaw, who built the bridge. The 2 coats of arms set in the central panel are those of Cockburn of Ryslaw (left) and his wife, Marie Edmonstone (right). The words 'Cokbvrnvs Fecit Nomen Et Ipse Dedit Ryslav' are inscribed below.



Armstrong's map, 1771 (road evident). STATISTICAL ACCOUNT (1798) p276. Ordnance Survey Name Book (1856 1858) Reel 62, Book 20, NMRS. RCAHMS INVENTORY OF MONUMENTS AND CONSTRUCTIONS IN THE COUNTY OF BERWICK (1915) 160. J R Hume THE INDUSTRIAL ARCHAEOLOGY OF SCOTLAND, Vol. 1 (1976) p81. C A Strang BORDERS AND BERWICK: AN ILLUSTRATED ARCHITECTURAL GUIDE (1991) p50. NMRS photographic records BW/2452, BO/BE, BW/52.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at


There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to FOGO BRIDGE

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 02/04/2023 06:47