Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

MAIN STREET, DOBBIE HALLLB10502

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
26/08/1985
Local Authority
Falkirk
Planning Authority
Falkirk
Parish
Larbert
NGR
NS 86367 82818
Coordinates
286367, 682818

Description

A & W Black, Architects, Falkirk. 1901. Plain, 6-bay deep,

stugged ashlar hall with piended slate roof set behind

exhuberant 2-bay deep neo-Baroque front. 5-bay front

elevation with end bays advanced. Ground floor-chanelled

ashlar with deep ashlar base, moulded cill course and

cornice. Plain ashlar 1st floor with moulded cill course and

rusticated quoins, the former carried round the hall at the

rear. Central door set in arched Gibbsian surround with

flanking Ionic pilasters and curved broken pediment. 1st

floor tripartite window above with triangular pediment and

upper cartouche set between engaged Ionic columns and

surmounted by large curved broken pediment at wallhed. Deep

bracketted main cornice and balustrade parapet. All windows

2-pane sashes, outer ground floor bays with engaged pilasters

in reveals. 1st floor window bays pedimented, outer bays with

cartouche and flat side pilasters, inner bays with lugged

architraves.

Interior: Entrance hall with cloakrooms at ground floor,

upper lesser hall at first floor, all with original detailing

and plasterwork.

Main Hall: 5 Ionic columns support curved end. U-shaped

gallery with original seating and elaborate neo-Baroque

front. Lavish proscenium arch with engaged Corinthian columns

and upper initialled cartouche.

Richly decorated coffered ceiling.

Statement of Special Interest

Endowed by Robert Dobbie J P Beechmount Lambert. 2-storey

piended stage block with retiring rooms at rear and modern

2-storey flat-roofed extension on east side. Ground floor

seating removed. Low angular wall and later railings surround

the site with war memorial at front.

References

Bibliography

The Builder August 17, 1901, Page 160.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to MAIN STREET, DOBBIE HALL

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 25/06/2019 09:20