1772; extended 1813; later alterations and additions, 1841. Asymmetrical, 2-storey with attic, 6-bay, near L-plan former manse with gabled porch in re-entrant angle to front. Heavily-pointed sandstone rubble; tooled sandstone dressings (droved in part). Quoins; long and short surrounds to openings; flush cills; ashlar wallhead pediments. Ancillary structure to SE.
N (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: gabled porch off-set to right of centre with timber panelled door; scroll-bracketed sandstone canopy. Single window recessed at 1st floor off-set to left; wallhead pediment to single window at 1st floor off-set to right (dated 'A.D. 1841'). 4-bay, M-gabled projection to left with blocked doorway at ground to outer left; single windows in remaining bays at both floors; bipartite attic light centred in gablehead to left; single attic light (blocked) centred in gablehead to right.
E (SIDE) ELEVATION: gable end to left with boarded timber door at ground off-set to right. Later wing to right with single window centred at ground; wallhead pediment to single window aligned above.
S (REAR) ELEVATION: 4-bay comprising 3-bay range to left with later wing to right. Large single window at ground off-set to right of centre; single windows in remaining bays at ground to left and right. Wallhead pediments to single windows in all bays at 1st floor. Gabled, bipartite dormer off-set to right of centre.
W (SIDE) ELEVATION: gable end to right with single window at 1st floor off-set to right of centre. Full-height projecting wing recessed to outer left. Single window in gabled porch in re-entrant angle to front.
Predominantly 12-pane glazing in timber sash and case windows. Grey slate roof; sandstone skews (sawtooth-coped in part). Corniced sandstone ridge and apex stacks; octagonal cans.
INTERIOR: not seen 1999.
ANCILLARY STRUCTURE: former stables and carriage house. Single storey with attic, rectangular-plan structure set on sloping site with lean-to addition to outer right. Heavily-pointed sandstone rubble; tooled pink sandstone dressings. W (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: boarded timber door to outer left; single window in subsequent bay to right with gabled dormer breaking eaves above (blocked); further doorway to right. Modern garage door in square-headed opening off-set to right of centre; 2-leaf, boarded timber door in large, segmental-arched opening to right. Boarded timber door in lean-to addition to outer right. Grey slate piended roof. INTERIOR: not seen 1999.
BOUNDARY WALLS, GATEPIERS AND GATE: rubble-coped, rubble wall enclosing site to S; store incorporated in wall to E. Square coping to tooled rubble wall enclosing site to N. Chamfered, obelisk-shaped gatepiers flanking vehicular and pedestrian entrance to NE; hooped iron pedestrian gate.
Statement of Special Interest
No longer in use as a manse. Set to the SW of Foulden Church - see separate list entry. Noted in the STATISTICAL ACCOUNT as having been built '...about 14 years' before the rebuilding of the church in 1786, and described in the OS Name Book as '...a plain and commodious dwelling house 2 stories [sic] high and in good repair.' Originally 3 bays wide and entered from the S through the central bay (now infilled with a window which is off-set to the left of centre). The addition of a further bay to the right, which made the S elevation 4 bays wide, is thought to date from 1813. Work carried out in the 1840s, including the addition of a porch and the wallhead pediments, was funded by John Wilkie, then owner of Foulden House, principal landowner in the parish and principal heritor. Wilkie was also responsible for the extensive improvements in Foulden village, transforming what, in 1842, was described as having '...gone utterly to decay' into a village which, by 1866, was considered to be '...the prettiest in the county' (Rutherfurd's).